Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me how this is healthy. ETA

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:21 PM
  • 140 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

My daughter is a sophomore in high school and she sent me this picture of her lunch today. She said they ran out of food today (this happens almost weekly). Not one vegetable to be seen here. If you can’t tell it’s a dry sandwich roll, a cookie, an ice cream pop, and a cup of ground beef. I realize there’s nothing I can really do about it but I mean come on. Surely they can do better than this especially today. It’s state basketball here and half the student body is gone.

ETA:  I am going to try and clarify to some of you.  First of all, I am not bitching about it and not coming up with a solution.  Second, my daughter is perfectly capable of packing a lunch and she does sometimes.  She happened to not do it today.  This was not about that at all.  I was shocked at what this school thought was an acceptable lunch substitution after they ran out of food on a day when there was absolutely no reason to run out.  

We live in a pretty rural area and there are a lot of lower-income families here.  It is concerning to me that a child who doesn't have access to good food at home is being served something similar.  My daughter can pick off of that tray what she can eat and come home and eat a healthy meal.  Not every kid has that option.  

I have contacted the head of our school district's lunch program and sent this photo to her.  It's become enough of a pattern recently that I am not ignoring it any longer.  

My daughter will be driving soon and then she can just come home for lunch so it won't be an issue.  Next year she will be going part-time to the local college so again for her it won't be an issue.  I hope that clarifies some things.

by on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Why don't you ask the school how you can help? Maybe there's a way to donate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this
How about instead of bitching about the school lunches you send your child with food from your own home?!

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

Mobile Photo

My daughter is a sophomore in high school and she sent me this picture of her lunch today. She said they ran out of food today (this happens almost weekly). Not one vegetable to be seen here. If you can’t tell it’s a dry sandwich roll, a cookie, an ice cream pop, and a cup of ground beef. I realize there’s nothing I can really do about it but I mean come on. Surely they can do better than this especially today. It’s state basketball here and half the student body is gone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
That's just wrong.
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Also, why don't you start packing her a lunch that you think is more healthy? School funding isn't what you expect it to be & this type of lunch doesn't really shock me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:24 PM
That's disgusting
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

shes kneeling on the floor?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:24 PM
Pack your kids lunch problem solved
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:25 PM
Start packing lunches and there is something you can do. Contact the school board get involved and make change.
ninjakids
by Christina on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I’m more concerned with the food being on their floors 😳😳
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM
9 moms liked this

you can thank michelle obama for that one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)