Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We come from totally different places

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
I was speaking with my math tutor this morning and we discussed how he came from a family where everyone went to college. It wasn't a question of "if" by a question of "where" he'd go to college. However, in my mom's side of the family I'm the second to graduate high school after my aunt and the first to even attend college. I just got my associate's and I'm working towards a bachelors degree in engineering. I don't know about my dad's side much but I do know that nobody has a college education. Most of them don't even work now. Those that do work entry level jobs.

So where do you come from and what are you doing? Or what have you done? Please add anything you can. What do you expect of your children?

I expect my children to either go to college (either a 2 year degree or more) or to go to the military. Even if they go to the military I really want them to get at least a certificate or 2 year degree first. That's because dh was permanently disabled while serving and now without an education had nothing to fall back on.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:34 PM

I come from a family of doctors and nurses on both sides.  It wasn't if, it was where.  Same with my kids.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:35 PM
Once I hit 6th grade nobody was able to help me with homework.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I come from a family of doctors and nurses on both sides.  It wasn't if, it was where.  Same with my kids.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
No one in my family went to college before me.

I was the oldest of 6 kids. All six of us went to college.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:37 PM
I am the only college educated one among my parents and siblings. My parents both always had good jobs though because when they started working in the early 60’s you could get a good job with a high school diploma. My husband has a bachelors degree and I have a masters.

The grandchildren in my family are almost all college educated or will be. One has a masters degree, my oldest is in graduate school now and is an officer in the military, another has some college, one is still in college and the other that is in the military has almost finished her degree.

I have one child that will not attend college but does plan on attending vocational school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:38 PM
I'm the youngest of 2. My brother didn't graduate high school. Neither did my cousins all around the same age. The next generation starts with my niece who's about to turn 18. She doesn't have plans of going to college. I had to bite my tongue hard on that one

Quoting Anonymous 3: No one in my family went to college before me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:38 PM
Quoting Anonymous 1: Once I hit 6th grade nobody was able to help me with homework.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

That sucks.  I'm glad you were able to forge your own path regardless of what your family modeled for you.  

karlie2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:38 PM
First on both sides to attend and graduate university.
None of my siblings or cousins have gone.
But my niece got her Bachelor of Arts in psychology.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:39 PM
My mom and two of her three sisters went to college. My dad and his brother didn't go until much later in life. I went, my brother went, my sister didn't. DH didn't.

DS definitely will. Honestly, though I'd be ok with him going to a trade school. I think by the time he's old enough to work, there's going to be a serious need for blue collar workers like welders, mechanics, etc...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:40 PM
Hopefully your niece is going to do some kind of specialized education.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm the youngest of 2. My brother didn't graduate high school. Neither did my cousins all around the same age. The next generation starts with my niece who's about to turn 18. She doesn't have plans of going to college. I had to bite my tongue hard on that one

Quoting Anonymous 3: No one in my family went to college before me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:40 PM
Everyone in my family went to college. It was expected. We are all white collar workers now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)