Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was my mom always a bad cook?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
My mom is visiting me for the first time since I moved far from her. She can't eat any of my food, so she keeps needing her own food to make us meals. This morning she wanted me to go buy her pancake mix. I said we already had everything we needed to make pancakes. So she asked for the pancake mix. I started mixing up flour, baking powder, and sugar. So she sighed and said she wished I had told her, she would have bought pancake mix because she wanted to be the one to make the pancake batter. So I guided her in how much milk, egg, and oil/butter to use and left her to mix. She then asked me why it was so lumpy, smh. She's 68 years old. I've thought in the past it's a shame she never taught me to cook. But now I'm wondering if even she knows how to cook well. Everything she makes comes from a jar or a box.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:13 PM
She probably doesn't.
Sopaw
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:13 PM
If she didn't teach you how to cook why would you assume she knew how?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM
Because she always cooked me food while I was growing up.

Quoting Sopaw: If she didn't teach you how to cook why would you assume she knew how?
Sopaw
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:19 PM
But you said everything she makes comes from a jar or a box. As a kid I can see mistaking that for actual cooking. But now you know better. I think "cooking" boxed foods became the norm when my mom was in her late teens early 20s (she's 80) and it was so convenient she really never went back to cooking real food as much as her mom did.

How did you learn how to cook?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Because she always cooked me food while I was growing up.

Quoting Sopaw: If she didn't teach you how to cook why would you assume she knew how?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM

I don't think she can cook well at all because she sounds like me. Yeah I can't cook very well. Taught my dd some basics like eggs, noodles, mac & cheese, and I also taught her how to bake. I am not that bad at baking and she knows how to do that a littl ebeter. But yeah, I suck at cooking and I've made some efforts to be better but no it's just not there. I don't think your mom can cook very well either. I, too, use a box for a lot of the things I make. It's just a fact. I wish I could teach my daughter to make delicious homemade foods but honestly I can't. I was only able to show her basics. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM
The internet. Trial and error. My husband, lol.

Quoting Sopaw: But you said everything she makes comes from a jar or a box. As a kid I can see mistaking that for actual cooking. But now you know better. I think "cooking" boxed foods became the norm when my mom was in her late teens early 20s (she's 80) and it was so convenient she really never went back to cooking real food as much as her mom did.

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:22 PM

she probably doesnt. 

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:22 PM
We have the same mother. I had this moment when I got to be an adult.
Sopaw
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:23 PM
I wish mine knew how to cook! I do want to learn but I'm impatient. Also my kitchen so freaking tiny it's difficult to do anything. I only know a few basics.

Quoting Anonymous 1: The internet. Trial and error. My husband, lol.

Quoting Sopaw: But you said everything she makes comes from a jar or a box. As a kid I can see mistaking that for actual cooking. But now you know better. I think "cooking" boxed foods became the norm when my mom was in her late teens early 20s (she's 80) and it was so convenient she really never went back to cooking real food as much as her mom did.

Fat.Bottom.Girl
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this
To be fair, convenience food was very trendy from around the mid 50's through the 80's at least. People are pushing back towards more homemade food and less processed now, but stuff in a box, can, or tray was the way of life for most families for a very long time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)