Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let him choose?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 125 Replies
My son got a $15 Old Navy gift card in the mail and wants to use it on their overpriced candy in the check out line. I say he could use a new pair of shorts for summer time. Would you let him waste it on candy or make him pick out something he could use?

He's 9

ETA We went and they had a sale so he got a pair of shorts and a piece of candy. Came out to $14 and some change...perfect.

The aunt that sent him the card always sends thoughtful/useful gift cards instead of cash so that was part of the reason I questioned the candy.

$15 hardly funds a wardrobe so I do purchase plenty of clothing for him. I realize that the gift was to him and buying clothes hardly feels like a gift to a 9 year old but he's a child and I feel like it's my responsibility to teach him responsible spending before he become an adult and blows everything he gets on junk.

It's been interesting to see the varying degrees of opinions though!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I would probably let him use part of it on candy, but the majority on something else in the store. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Unless it's a gift card for a candy store, I make my kids pick out non candy items. They are too candy obsessed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM

Make him use it for something useful, no one needs 15 dollars in candy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 25, 2018 at 12:59 PM
His money, his choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 25, 2018 at 1:00 PM
My kid is 6 just spend her money ($75) at the dollar store, I don’t let people tell me how to spend my money so I don’t tell them how to spend theirs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 25, 2018 at 1:00 PM
Can he pick one candy and get shorts too?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM
His money, his choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes but I feel like as a parent it's my job to teach him how to use his money wisely....

If he were an adult that's a different story.

Quoting Anonymous 5: My kid is 6 just spend her money ($75) at the dollar store, I don�t let people tell me how to spend my money so I don�t tell them how to spend theirs.
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM

I wish you had said how old the kid is, which is relevant information.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2018 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I doubt it with only $15. Which means I'd be footing the rest of the bill and essentially buying his over priced candy. I don't mind paying the difference on clothes.

Quoting Anonymous 6: Can he pick one candy and get shorts too?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)