Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self checkouts - love 'em or hate 'em?

Posted by   + Show Post

I love using the self-checkout whenever I can.  At the grocery store, at Wal-Mart.  I'd use them at Target but our Target store doesn't have them.  I much prefer just doing my own thing, bagging my own stuff, all on my own.

My grocery store is open 6am to 12am.  They have low volume times that there aren't very many customers in the store.  So during those times, they won't have a cashier lane open.  They'll just have the self-checkouts open with the one attendant for those.  And the attendants are good about helping people through the self-checkout if they need help.

Well this morning I was in after dropping my kids off at school.  I was at one of the self-checkouts when I heard another female customer come up and question out loud "No register lanes open?"  The attendant explained that no, she was there alone at the moment.  The female customer then exclaimed "Oh my God!".  I get that people have different preferences, but she reacted as if it was the worst thing that would happen to her all week.  I don't get that.

So what's your preference?  What's your reasoning?  If you were forced to use self-checkout, would it be a big deal to you?

by on Mar. 8, 2018 at 11:11 AM
Replies (171-178):
fiddlerbird555
by on Mar. 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM

It kind of bugs me from the employment perspective. The local Safeway was a place where a High School student could get a job. Maybe less so now.  And I like socializing a bit with the checkers.

That said, when I'm in a hurry and only have a few things, I've been known to use the self-check.

StarLight23
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Love it! I like bagging groceries and being able to get in and out of there fast. Usually, we only have a few small items.

AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 5:08 PM

It depends on how much stuff I'm buying.  Usually I like the self-checkout... but the area is usually really small, so if I have a lot of stuff, then it gets cramped. 

And I don't like when you can fix a simple problem on your own... for example, I accidentally scanned an item twice.... why can't I delete it myself!?

MikeysMom22
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM

For a few items I will use them. For a full cart no I use a line with a register. Some of those self checkouts are actually more work and someone has to come run over and add a code or whatever it might be to straighten the thing out. I have said to a few of them. well you have job security these things will not completely eliminate cashiers. They don't work well enough a good percentage of the time. With that said, I do like to shop at Aldi where they ring the stuff up put it back in a basket and I can bag it because they have counters just for that just after their registers. 

mel4him
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Love them. I prefer to handle it all. I can keep my eye on the prices that scan and bag the way I want. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Mar. 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM
I avoid them for the most part; I have problems with them not registering what's in the bagging area a lot of the time. I do like the option if I'm buying something slightly embarrassing though lol
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Mar. 10, 2018 at 10:56 AM
I like them because then I don’t have to deal with people, but those things always hate me and I end up having to call a worker over anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Mar. 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM
If I have a ton of stuff I don't like them, but they are much faster for only a few items.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)