Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working and college student Moms....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I work at a preschool 8:45am-3:30pm. Perfect working mom schedule. They offered me a promotion to move up from center assistant to Teachers aide which requires a CDL B license and a CMA certificate... (BTW I passed the general knowledge test today only 2 more to take) anyway the business I work for will pay for me to go to college and get that certificate AND keep going for an associates degree in early childhood education.

The point of the post is.. How do you all feel about being away from your children so much? I think I will feel quilty for neglecting them. But it would be a good opportunity to get them off state insurance and to drop my 100/month in food stamps.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM
Replies (21-27):
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 9, 2018 at 6:30 AM
It is never a bad thing to further your education. You will show your kids how important it is to get a good education before having kids.

I went and got my BSN when my kids were in elementary school. They are so proud of me.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 6:38 AM
Check what strings are attached for them paying for it. Im working on my AS in ECE too (science version needs less credits) and I'd be stuck for 3-5 years if I let them pay. Look into a cohort program since they only meet 1 night per week and work wouldn't be an issue. It's hard and the classes will be intense (each semester crammed into 1/2 the time) but the career will be worth it in the end.
by Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:07 PM

I think it sounds like a great opportunity.  Your kids will only be small for a little while but your advancement in the work force will carry you through old age....  I personally welcome any opportunity to improve my skills and educate myself.  It will be good for you and a great example for you kids to learn.  But follow your heart, and if you feel it will take away too much time from your kids then stay where you are until they are older.  Only you can say what is best for you and your kids.  Follow your heart.

by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM
I’ve never felt like I was neglecting my child because I was working to provide for them. And I work 6 days a week. I would feel a lot worse if we couldn’t buy food or pay rent.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM
See when the classes are. The preschool I worked at had classes on Thursdays during the day, so the aides were just out that whole day for class.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:48 PM
I do my homework when I am waiting on practice to be over or have a free moment.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 3:34 PM

I didnt feel guilty at all. My dh is an amazing parent and took good care of him while I was gone. I also am not one of those martyr moms who need to give up everythign for themselves to care for their child. I am independent and enjoy working and need that stimulation. So going to school was a need for me personally as well as professionally. I did miss ds and it sucked to miss him rolling over for the first time. While I ultimately wanted my kids to be daddy's boys/girls and have always teased dh that I would teach the kids to love him more so they would leave me alone, it did sting a little when he said da da first. But I knew it was the best thing for the family in the long run. Sacrificing a bit in the present for a long term investment in the future is almost always worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)