Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My embarrassing job

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 191 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ive been a SAHM for the last 6 years. I’m getting a divorce and in a tight spot
I ended up taking a job at Aldi (a low end grocery store) in my home town

It’s kind of embarrassing. I have a degree. I never made a lot of money, but I worked at a library for years before staying home.

Unfortunately all the library jobs, or office jobs, that I can find pay less than Aldi, which is starting me fulltime at $16/hr

I see a lot of people I knew growing up, which is hard. My highschool boyfriend is married to a doctor now, which is cool. He told me that while I was scanning their groceries them in my rubber gloves.
I hate how self conscious I am about it, but shit happens in life, what can I do

I was already feeling crappy about it when my mom called me to say how embarrassed she was that her friend saw me working there and called her. She said I’d be better off just quitting and going on FS, because at least then noone would know

And I just had to vent that it sucks. I’m annoyed at myself and at my mom and at life
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM
23 moms liked this
Aldi is the go to place to work around here.
Lots of my coworkers left to go work at Aldi.
There is no shame in any job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM
43 moms liked this
I’ve heard Aldi is a great place to work! Like you said, the starting pay is much higher than any other retail place. Count yourself lucky that you don’t even have to bag items! Lol!

And if your mom’s friend looks down on you for working at a “low end” grocery store....why the hell was she shopping there. Tell her to take her snooty ass to Whole Foods.

At least you are supporting yourself and you should feel good about that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Aldi pays well compared to other retail or grocery stores though. A lot of the places I have lived in, people will wait for hours in a line just to have a chance to interview with them. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM
9 moms liked this
It’s a job. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
VickyJoJo
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM
9 moms liked this

It is a good job and you should never be embarrassed for doing what it takes to support yourself or your children.  Be proud.  Be confident that you are doing what it takes to move forward.  

ShDynasty
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I know several SAHMs that got jobs in retail when their kids were grown, not because they had to but because they wanted to. Quite a few turned those jobs into careers and are really happy. No one judged them. Why is everyone so judgy with you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM
6 moms liked this

You need to cut those toxic people out of your life
Working at a grocery store is nothing to be embarrassed about
Isn't that a union job? Good pay, good  benefits?
So your ex married a doctor....goody for him...thats not HIS accomplishment to lord over you

Take pride in the fact that you're providing for yourself and your kids

Mrs.ChuckBass
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this

a job is a job.\if you want to do more with your life, look to see what jobs are in demand and see if one of those would be a good fit for you, and go upgrade your education.

it doesnt have to be forever.

rosie211
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM
6 moms liked this
Fuck those idiots. Aldi pays good and is honest work. You keep your head up lady and ignore anyone who is negative.
paigea
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM
3 moms liked this
I would be annoyed at my mom!

Nothing for you to be ashamed of. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ive been a SAHM for the last 6 years. I’m getting a divorce and in a tight spot
I ended up taking a job at Aldi (a low end grocery store) in my home town

It’s kind of embarrassing. I have a degree. I never made a lot of money, but I worked at a library for years before staying home.

Unfortunately all the library jobs, or office jobs, that I can find pay less than Aldi, which is starting me fulltime at $16/hr

I see a lot of people I knew growing up, which is hard. My ex is married to a doctor now, which is cool. He told me that while I was scanning their groceries them in my rubber gloves.
I hate how self conscious I am about it, but shit happens in life, what can I do

I was already feeling crappy about it when my mom called me to say how embarrassed she was that her friend saw me working there and called her. She said I’d be better off just quitting and going on FS, because at least then noone would know

And I just had to vent that it sucks. I’m annoyed at myself and at my mom and at life
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)