Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you give your kid a sleeping pill or melatonin?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am the one who had their vacation house crashed into.  My dd who was by the door completely lost it last night.  She was extremely freaked out.  We are in a hotel on the second floor.  The only way we to her to calm down was with a quarter of a sleeping pill, calm music and meditation.  It took a combo of all three to get her to fall asleep.   She isn’t freaking out right now but she is adamant about a light staying on (no biggie) and is afraid to close her eyes.  I am tempted to give her another quarter of a sleeping pill.  She is 15.  

Tomorrow we go home.  I’m hoping she will be better in her own bed. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM
Replies (61-62):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Mar. 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM
Insomnia is often hereditary, so it's entirely possible that multiple people in a family has sleep issues.

Quoting Anonymous 28: All 4 though? That seems pretty ridiculous that all 4 kids have sleep issues.

Quoting Anonymous 25: Or maybe some people have sleep problems. Stop being a jerk. I started using melatonin when my son was 3 and weve used it on and off the last 3 yrs.

Quoting Anonymous 18: That's fucked. Maybe you weren't meant to have kids if you can't get them to do something as natural as sleep without meds every night.

Quoting mommyof11050307: All four of my kids get melatonin every night. My 2yo won’t settle down unless he has some. Unless I run his butt ragged and it’s just starting to warm up here at night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Mar. 14, 2018 at 2:25 PM
My boys both inherited my sleep disorder. They sleep walk and have insomnia. Right now melatonin helps but when they are older, sleep meds will probably be required. I take Valium and meletonin along with a meditation program to sleep. In your daughters case, Id try meletonin and talk to her ped if it isnt better at home. I would not use anything beyond unisom before talking to a dr. Sleeping pills that are prescription are not something to toy with even 1/4 or half pills. They can supress breathing, cause seizures or a multitude of other negative effects.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)