Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Secrets that we had to keep as children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 220 Replies
Growing up the Orange juice was always spiked with vodka. It was taboo to say anything about it, had to make sure friends didn't drink it. I also knew that seeing orange juice in the fridge meant mom would be hammered.
Was there a secret you had to keep?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2018 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 2:54 PM

It's not a secret that I had to keep. But it's something I kept from my parents and basically everyone else. When I was maybe 10 I remember my mom getting a phone call and I could hear a woman screaming on the other end. A day later a man in uniform (Army, my parents were both retired) showed up at the door and told my mom he didn't want any trouble with her but that he would kill my dad if he ever caught up to him. My mom doesn't know that I overhead the conversation and she doesn't know that I was standing in the hallway when this man showed up. I have no idea what happened after that. 

hart57
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM
We were homeless for a while. Than we found a place in another school district, but me and my brother did want to change schools so we lied about where we lived.
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Mar. 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM
My grandma used to be my aunt. My great grandma used to be my grandma. All step of course.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2018 at 2:58 PM
Oh wow that had to be scary to overhear.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

It's not a secret that I had to keep. But it's something I kept from my parents and basically everyone else. When I was maybe 10 I remember my mom getting a phone call and I could hear a woman screaming on the other end. A day later a man in uniform (Army, my parents were both retired) showed up at the door and told my mom he didn't want any trouble with her but that he would kill my dad if he ever caught up to him. My mom doesn't know that I overhead the conversation and she doesn't know that I was standing in the hallway when this man showed up. I have no idea what happened after that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this
We weren't to tell my Grandma that we only went to mass on the Sundays she was visiting. As an adult, I wasn't to tell Grandma that I'm an atheist.
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM
5 moms liked this
I have no clue.

My whole childhood was a big ball of bullshit.
StarLight23
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the only secret we kept was that Santa wasn't real. We didn't spoil it for the younger kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:06 PM

It was scary hearing it but I remember not feeling suprised if that makes sense. Since I was younger I've always felt my dad isn't who people think he is. I always thought something was off about him, like he wasn't this great guy everyone thought he was. I tried my best to stay out of his way as a kid and we're not close now. Idk, it's something but I don't know what it is.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Oh wow that had to be scary to overhear.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:07 PM
That scenario reminds me of a secret in my dhs family. His brother is in a long term relationship with their aunt. All kids in the family are raised to believe the aunt and nephew are just grandpa and grandma.
We don't spend time with those people.

Quoting littlesippycup: My grandma used to be my aunt. My great grandma used to be my grandma. All step of course.
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 3:07 PM
A lot of things. My parents were insane.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)