Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over scheduled kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies
5 moms liked this
I feel bad for kids who are over scheduled! School, sports, lessons, tutoring, volunteering ...... on and on and on!
1. 15 hours days are insane! Most adults aren’t that scheduled
2. Sad they won’t ever be able to entertain themselves
3. What happened to just being a kid!

Down time and play time is valuable!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:16 PM
7 moms liked this

there are some countries where young children get up and work in factory jobs all day, and damn glad to do it, to avoid becoming a sex workers. I imagine the cush life of a US 13 year old in school followed by dance troop will turn out OK in the end...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:17 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow! So overscheduled American kid or sexworker are the only options in your life?! Ok then. Hope you don’t procreate.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

there are some countries where young children get up and work in factory jobs all day, and damn glad to do it, to avoid becoming a sex workers. I imagine the cush life of a US 13 year old in school followed by dance troop will turn out OK in the end...

mjande4
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM

For kids that are driven it's normal.  All kids are not the same. Getting into a top rated college is competitive and you have to enhance that resume if you want a chance.  Not all kids are driven to do this, but for those that are, as a parent you need to support them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Was this just a siren call for Yuppy?
ShaMac
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this
It's funny. I don't know any kids with 15 hour days. That feels like a pretty random number.
The people that I know that rant over extracurriculars tend to be the ones that are at least a little neglectful of their kid's education.
disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It's possible to have balance.  My daughter has school and dances 3 days a week.  If she needed tutoring, I'd add that in because the only reason she'd be getting that is if she was struggling but so far she doesn't need it.  She has plenty of time to hang out with friends, entertain herself and even learn how to deal with being bored.  I have met kids who are really heavily scheduled and it's not the life we want.

ineffable
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this
My cousins kids are like that. They have no clue what a lazy Sunday of staying in your jammies just watching tv is. They also have no idea how to survive a 10 minute car ride without a dvd playing or their iPads. They’re either always at a practice or being entertained. She schedules them down to the very minute. If something ends early she scrambles to engage them in something else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM

Too late, already trying to rear 3. They started their lives with 10 hour daycare days. They are doing just fine, lol, since you are concerned with other's well-being.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Wow! So overscheduled American kid or sexworker are the only options in your life?! Ok then. Hope you don’t procreate.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I did not have an over scheduled Childgood and today, I am the youngest female CEO in my industry. I have a masters degree. I run a 22 million dollar manufacturing business. I would say I’m driven..... but as a kid- I went to school. Played sports- but not the psycho traveling year round stuff. Hung out during the summer. Basically led a chill life. I will say- I have lots of high strung employees who are constantly shuttling their kids around— I think it’s chaos and shows they have no balance or focus

Quoting mjande4:

For kids that are driven it's normal.  All kids are not the same. Getting into a top rated college is competitive and you have to enhance that resume if you want a chance.  Not all kids are driven to do this, but for those that are, as a parent you need to support them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:22 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't feel sorry for kids that are doing what they love.  I feel sorry for kids that sit home all day alone while their parents are at work trolling my kids on the internet.  It's the kids that don't have hobbies that harras my kids all day.  Why can't you walk to Starbucks after school?  Why can't you facetime at 1am?  Why can't you go to the mall and roam around the streets because we have nothing to do.   I don't judge what other kids are doing with their time.  Some kids want to do nothing, some kids like sports.  it's the kids that are in sports that dont want to be that are the problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)