Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Manager walked in on me pumping

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 165 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am allowed to have time set aside to pump when I work a double. There is only 1 office(restaurant job) so I pump in there. Yesterday I told the manager on duty I was going to pump. He said ok then 5 minutes later barged in asking if I was done yet. I said no and he stood there with the door open while I’m pumping and asked when will i be done. I said “I don’t know, will you please close the door now!”

He’s an older guy in his 50s with no kids or a wife so I guess he doesn’t get the concept of pumping but it was so inappropriate and made me feel very uncomfortable. The general manager is a mom to a breastfed baby as well so she understands pumping and assured me that I would be allowed a private time and space to do so.

Should I tell my general manager what happened just to
Ensure it doesn’t happen again?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM
No idea
veggiemom474
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:39 PM
12 moms liked this

Yes, you should. He should have shown respect for your time. The guy sounds clueless.

zombiemegg
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:40 PM
13 moms liked this

I would talk to the manager that barged in first and ask him never to do that again because it made you uncomfortable and its suppose to be a private area for you do to this.

If he cant comprehend that or gives you shit for it then yes tell the gm.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you put a sign on the door or something?
krisnkids
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd have a quick chat with the gm and ask if you could install a latch for privacy.

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM
This.

Quoting zombiemegg:

I would talk to the manager that barged in first and ask him never to do that again because it made you uncomfortable and its suppose to be a private area for you do to this.

If he cant comprehend that or gives you shit for it then yes tell the gm.

mom-x-2
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

This! This is what we did at our restaurant. 5 of us had babies in a short time period. The office was always in use for pumping and noone ever barged in.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Can you put a sign on the door or something?

hart57
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM
I was going to say to just talk to your manager. But honestly he should know better.

Talk to the general manager. In the meantime lock the door.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM
The door automatically locks already. All managers have a key.

Quoting krisnkids:

I'd have a quick chat with the bm and ask if you could install a latch for privacy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM
We actually talked about doing that but haven’t gotten around to it. I will make sure it gets done now.

Quoting mom-x-2:

This! This is what we did at our restaurant. 5 of us had babies in a short time period. The office was always in use for pumping and noone ever barged in.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Can you put a sign on the door or something?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)