Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In the very beginning stages of adoption

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
We are trying to decide if we want to adopt domestic or internationally. We have already decided that we are willing to adopt a child with certain special needs.

Pros and cons? How did you and your husband make a decision?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM
I am pretty anti adoption in general, so I would not do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:51 PM
When adopting internationally, I hope you fully educate yourselves on the country and culture. I hope you educate yourself on the different needs of a child adopted internationally and are willing to help them keep their identity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:51 PM
Why?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I am pretty anti adoption in general, so I would not do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:52 PM
If that’s the route we choose, we will absolutely do so. We have already began rearching.

Quoting Anonymous 3: When adopting internationally, I hope you fully educate yourselves on the country and culture. I hope you educate yourself on the different needs of a child adopted internationally and are willing to help them keep their identity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:53 PM
Because so many people go in to without being fully aware of what all it entails and the long term impact on so many adoptees.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Why?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I am pretty anti adoption in general, so I would not do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:53 PM
Thank-you.

Quoting Anonymous 1: If that’s the route we choose, we will absolutely do so. We have already began rearching.

Quoting Anonymous 3: When adopting internationally, I hope you fully educate yourselves on the country and culture. I hope you educate yourself on the different needs of a child adopted internationally and are willing to help them keep their identity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:55 PM
My parents adopted internationally because they didn’t want to pass the biological mother on the street and they didn’t want a situation where a parent changes their mind. My aunt was set to adopt a little girl and the dad changed his mind. They had a room set up, clothes, everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:55 PM
I completely understand that, but wouldn't the solution then be educating potential parents? Children don't deserve to remain in foster care of orphanages.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Because so many people go in to without being fully aware of what all it entails and the long term impact on so many adoptees.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Why?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:56 PM

There are too many horror stories about foreign adoptions .  Children taken from families with birth moms being told that their children are being given an opportunity to "study in America " with a host family.  Only after the adoption is final and the language barrier is overcome does the adoptive family discover what has happened. I would stick with domestic adoption.

LovingThisLifex
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:56 PM
I, personally, would never intentionally adopt a special needs child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)