Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is video game addiction a real thing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
What do you think?

The recent news that the World Health Organisation is to classify gaming disorder as an official mental health condition has received many angry responses on the internet.

The eleventh edition of the International Classification of Diseases is due to be published in 2018 and will include gaming disorder as a serious health condition.

The diagnostic manual was last updated in 1990, 27 years ago.

The New Scientist reported the criteria that will be used by professionals in order to assess whether a person is suffering from a gaming disorder.

Vladimir Poznyak, a member of the WHO’s Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse explained that while many people who play video games don’t have a disorder, excessive playing can have an adverse effect on one’s mental health.

The announcement has received an enormous response, with many questioning whether gaming disorder should be considered as a serious health condition at all.

Twitter user @C9AlIy, an eSports Player who describes himself as “Ally the Destroyer”, questioned the validity of the WHO’s decision.

“Can’t believe they’re trying to make ‘gaming disorder’ a mental health condition LOL,” he tweeted.

“They gonna send all us gamers to rehab.”

Vincent Allen, a 21-year-old man from Ohio who suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and enjoys playing video games in his spare time, believes that the ruling undermines other serious health conditions.

“Great, let’s make it worse for people who actually have a real disease/disability to get the help they need!” he tweeted.

“I have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and depression, let’s see how many more dumb conditions become a reality.”

A recent study published in Molecular Psychiatry discovered that playing first-person shooting games can reduce grey matter within the hippocampus in the brain.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
No, just an excuse to be a lazy ass
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Dumb. This is all dumb. I did take something away from this. Hippocampus...lol...how cute. I've never heard that before.

Hippocampusthe elongated ridges on the floor of each lateral ventricle of the brain, thought to be the center of emotion, memory, and the autonomic nervous system.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM
Yes, it has been shown to cause chemical changes in the brain when playing
kajira
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I think anything can be addictive. However, I do see this label getting abused.

susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM

It's an excuse to be a lazy ass as anon2 well said, and to disrespect others around you.

Masterchefmom
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM
This is dumb and yet you don't even know what the hippocampus is? Lol

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Dumb. This is all dumb. I did take something away from this. Hippocampus...lol...how cute. I've never heard that before.

Hippocampusthe elongated ridges on the floor of each lateral ventricle of the brain, thought to be the center of emotion, memory, and the autonomic nervous system.

susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Yes, it has been shown to cause chemical changes in the brain when playing

So? That doesn't mean that people don't have control over their choices and behavior.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:14 PM
It definitely is a real thing.
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:14 PM
Absolutely.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2018 at 4:14 PM
I absolutely think it is. I live with 2 gaming addicts. 1 of them I'm married to. It's fucking misery.

15 hours of playing everyday.
No shower for weeks
Skips meals
Goes days without talking to people
Quits their job
Gets angry and irritable when they stop playing
Loses all sex drive

I'll never believe it's not an addiction.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)