Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learned something new re: appliances

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 12:57 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a guy out fixing my dishwasher.  I guess the pump went out.  But anyway, I was always getting this buildup on the different parts in my dishwasher and I just assumed it was the horribly hard water that we have.  But the dude said no.  It's really from using liquid dishwasher detergent instead of powder.  He said with these newer dishwashers (ours is 2.5 years old) they use so little water that the liquid soap can't dissolve down properly so you get the build-up in the dishwasher and the half-assed cleaned dishes.  He strongly recommends the Cascade Platinum powder tabs for the powder soap plus the other additives that help prevent the build-up.  Hey, if it works I'm buying them from now on, even if they are a little more expensive.

He also confirmed something that I pretty much already knew - Samsung appliances suck.  My dishwasher is Whirlpool but while he was here last week I was talking to him about my Samsung washer/dryer.  He said that Samsung is great for TV's and phones (when they don't blow up) but that they royally suck for appliances.  I also have a Samsung fridge (came with the house) with french doors and the catch on top of the flap broke so he replaced the flap for us too.

So that's my PSA for the day.  Use powder detergent in your dishwasher and never buy a Samsung appliance.

by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:00 PM
I still use powder. I don't trust the tabs. 😂
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
We use Finish pressed powder tabs. I don’t use the packs because the gelatin they’re packed is bad for my septic system.
shadow_lark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM
Yeah...I have a Samsung washer dryer set. The washer is great, the dryer sucks. It takes almost two hours to dry one load and there are some things that never get dried
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM

I like tabs. 

I also like my Samsung washer and dryer. 

.getoverit.
by Triana on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Damn. Looks like I'll be buying powder from now on. Thank you! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have Samsung appliances and have never had any issues with any of them. We have had them for several years and they are fine. Your 2 1/2yo Whirlpool dishwasher pump went out, my 7yo Samsung dishwwasher has never had an issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Glad I still hand wash and have no deisre to get a dishwasher. LOL

My dad owned a Samsung TV. He said he'll never own another. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:04 PM
Interesting. I don’t get a buildup using liquid dishwasher detergent. I don’t use powder because almost half is always still in the container hardened and the plastic for the tabs don’t fully dissolve. But when I use liquid dishes actually get clean. Maybe it’s just different types of dishwashers? Ours is about 3 yrs old.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:04 PM
All of my kitchen appliances are Samsung. I love them. I've had my fridge 4 or 5 years and never had an issue. Everything else we've had a year and no issues there either. Even after my husband was a dumbass and fucked up the fridge door, still is working without problems except the hinge squeaks now. But that's what happens when you drop it 5 feet to the ground. I won't buy their washers and dryers though. I think ours are Whirlpool.

Powder detergent always leaves my dishes looking like shit. We use the liquid pods and don't have any buildup.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 1:05 PM

I don't have a dishwasher.  I love all of my Samsung appliances (washer, dryer, stove).  I've never had an issue.  I've had the washer and dryer for 6 years and the stove for 2 or 3.  My dryer and stove are gas so maybe that is why?  I don't know. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)