Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Arranged marriage- could you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
Recovering from oral surgery I’m at home binge watching “Married at 1st sight”
It’s a reality show about arranged marriages

I’ve never seen this show before, but always been fascinated by the idea of arranged marriages. Could you do it?

My grandparents on my moms side had an arranged marriage, and they had one of the most loving relationships I’ve ever seen. Statistically, arranged marriages have a way better chance of lasting than modern marriage. I don’t know, it always seemed like a viable option

I kind of wish some days I had done it. I dont really think it’s an option anymore as a mom. Trusting a stranger with your future is one thing, I wouldn’t drag my child along for the ride

Anyhow, thoughts? Anyone here in an arranged marriage? Ever consider it?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VegetaPrincess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:37 PM
Nope
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM
Do you know why they last?

Because is frown upon divorce so they “make it work” they have their side lover and to the world they are happy.

Modern marriages last less because you don’t have to take crap anymore.
SPNpudding
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM
I think if it were the norm with my family/background I could. But I’ve been spoiled to the “sins” of all the choices lol so no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM

i would do it if he were hot. 

TheFairest
by Mother of Dragons on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM
No. Even though when I was younger my mom and my mil joked about one of their kids getting married in the future.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol side liver. Like their secret offal.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do you know why they last?

Because is frown upon divorce so they “make it work” they have their side liver and to the world they are happy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM

I think the odds of an arranged marriage lasting was for at least two reasons, one was that they had a shared cultural background with many of the same religious beliefs, morals and values and the families already liked and respected one another..there was less to negotiate and adjust to. The second thing is that often, they are not focused on marriage as a vehicle for romance, happiness and love ( although the assumption is that these things will be an outgrowth of the marriage) they see marriage as much more of a pragmatic and utilitarian in that each person is there to contribute to the union, to work and create a home and have children and care for elderly parents. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:42 PM
Nope, couldn't do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
OH man! That happens when I’m not careful typing... which is often. Lol.

Sometimes I feel my phone hates me.

lOver!

Lol

Quoting mama_danetta: Lol side liver. Like their secret offal.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do you know why they last?

Because is frown upon divorce so they “make it work” they have their side liver and to the world they are happy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:47 PM

I met DH on a blind date set up by our parents, does that count?? LOL.

I have a friend who had an arranged marriage.  They have been married over 25 years and still are happy.  She only agreed to it with the provision she could back out if she didn't like him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)