Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Call maintenance or do it myself?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
A few years back, our old stove died on us. I mean, it took 6 hours to finish baking a normal sized banana bread, and even then, you have to check to make sure the middle wasn't just mush.

So the apartment replaced the stove.

I broke this one. I know I did. Grr. A glass stovetop thing, the glass is broken and cracking along.

I would rather just replace the top part myself (well, call someone to do it lol) than have to admit I broke the dang thing.

Or do I need to call and tell them?

My dad says call but he's the one who would call over a wobbly toilet seat that just needs to be tightened. Lol
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
If I broke it, I would just get it repaired.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:15 PM
Get it fixed yourself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
That's my plan. I just gotta find someone, or a company who could do it. Ugh, I'm so stupid!

Quoting bluebunnybabe: If I broke it, I would just get it repaired.
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:20 PM

You gotta be careful with those glass stovetops! How did you break it?

gkcathey
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

As a property owner, I'd prefer that you call me and tell me what happened and that you are prepared to pay to fix it.  That's not YOUR stove that you broke, so you don't get to decide how to fix it, or what you'll replace it with.  When you move out, they're going to know you did something, and if that was me (and it has been) then I go in and replace the WHOLE thing, because I don't know what you did, or who you had do the work, so I don't know if it's safe....so I replace the whole thing and charge you for the repairs - so then you'd be paying twice to fix it because you didn't just call me.  MUCH better to talk with the owner/property manager and work something out.  You never know, they might have an extra range in storage and just switch it out and not charge you anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:24 PM
I put a hot pan on a cool section! Lol then I heard it boom.

Then I show ds what I did, it was just a circle of cracks and my mini me decides to press down on it... which honestly in the grand scheme of things didn't make the additional cracks, it just pressed in that section.

But I often put things from the stove on there with no problem. Ugh. I'd rather have the old school coil ones.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

jws120567
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM

That's not your fault, sounds like a manufacturers defect.  Those glasstops are made to handle intense temps, it never should have cracked.  Call your landlord, let him/her deal with it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I put a hot pan on a cool section! Lol then I heard it boom. Then I show ds what I did, it was just a circle of cracks and my mini me decides to press down on it... which honestly in the grand scheme of things didn't make the additional cracks, it just pressed in that section. But I often put things from the stove on there with no problem. Ugh. I'd rather have the old school coil ones.
Quoting flowerfunleah:

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:27 PM

That's weird! I do that all the time with my stove and have never had that happen.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I put a hot pan on a cool section! Lol then I heard it boom. Then I show ds what I did, it was just a circle of cracks and my mini me decides to press down on it... which honestly in the grand scheme of things didn't make the additional cracks, it just pressed in that section. But I often put things from the stove on there with no problem. Ugh. I'd rather have the old school coil ones.
Quoting flowerfunleah:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:27 PM
Ah shit. That's true. Granted, I've lived here for 11 years now and I have no plans on moving out anytime soon lol. But you're right, they do have the right to know. And it makes sense. They could assume dummy here repaired it herself, which is a scary thought. Bahaha.

Quoting gkcathey:

As a property owner, I'd prefer that you call me and tell me what happened and that you are prepared to pay to fix it.  That's not YOUR stove that you broke, so you don't get to decide how to fix it, or what you'll replace it with.  When you move out, they're going to know you did something, and if that was me (and it has been) then I go in and replace the WHOLE thing, because I don't know what you did, or who you had do the work, so I don't know if it's safe....so I replace the whole thing and charge you for the repairs - so then you'd be paying twice to fix it because you didn't just call me.  MUCH better to talk with the owner/property manager and work something out.  You never know, they might have an extra range in storage and just switch it out and not charge you anything. 

cmfarm
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 3:31 PM

The stove isn't supposed to do that when you put something hot on it. It isn't your fault.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)