Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lifting weights at 12/13

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:40 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
Would you be ok with it? It's a class offered at my oldest sons school as an elective and hubby and I talked it over, convoluted his Dr, and agreed to let him take it. My sister thinks I've lost my mind and that its to early for him to start lifting. She doesn't care what the Dr says, she's done research that proves it's not safe. (Her and her "research" gets really annoying at times) Regardless of what she says, he is still going to be allowed to take the class and this summer he'll be coming to the gym with me.

Would/did you allow a 12/13 year old to start weight lifting?
by on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I would let my child.  As long as he doesn't over do it, and takes safety precautions, just as an adult would, then I'm good.  I exercise 6 days/wk (including weights), so I would be a hypocrite if I told my child no.

VegetaPrincess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm very in favor of it. I started lifting with hay bales at 8 and by high school was in the weight room pretty much daily. It's been great for me my entire life. There are lots of physical and mental benefits of lifting. 

The research your sister is talking about is extremely outdated. It wsa believed to be dangerous for children but that was disproven decades ago. It is important that he use proper form though but if it's at his school, they will be teaching that. 

SissyAnn141
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:43 PM

If it is okay with his Doctor that is great.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughters started strength training with me at that age.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:46 PM
I made sure to talk to his Dr first and double check.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

If it is okay with his Doctor that is great.

krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I've met the teacher for that class, he's also the football coach, and I'm confident that my son will be in good hands in that respect.

Quoting PacMan80:

I would let my child.  As long as he doesn't over do it, and takes safety precautions, just as an adult would, then I'm good.  I exercise 6 days/wk (including weights), so I would be a hypocrite if I told my child no.

1kidmomajm
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:48 PM

I think it's great, especially if the doc says yes. Just watch for signs of being obsessed with it. And he needs to remember to stretch first!

PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:49 PM

Then I think it should be fine.  Better your child show interest in sports and health, than not.

Quoting krazymom2boyz: I've met the teacher for that class, he's also the football coach, and I'm confident that my son will be in good hands in that respect.
Quoting PacMan80:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:50 PM
Our boys are 12 and 13 and they do lift with us.

12 yo lifts heavier weights than I do.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:53 PM
He's been a football and basketball player since kindergarten. He's also been after me to let him start lifting for a few years now but I didn't want him to start to early and either get burnt out or hurt himself.

Quoting PacMan80:

Then I think it should be fine.  Better your child show interest in sports and health, than not.

Quoting krazymom2boyz: I've met the teacher for that class, he's also the football coach, and I'm confident that my son will be in good hands in that respect.

Quoting PacMan80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)