Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your kids have instagram?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM
  • 111 Replies
I recently started an Instagram for my son that dances. Its a dance instagram where we post videos and pictures related to his dancing. He came up with the handle. But I run the page for now. At some point I will see if I can turn it over to him and he will run it. I figured if he ever wanted to dance professionally they prefer professional dancers to have their own social media presence so that is why I started it.

He has been able to connect with other boys that dance all over the country and even one boy from Spain! So I think its pretty nifty.

My son is 10.
by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
No, my kids don’t have social media they are 5-12 years of age. I’m too concerned with child predators and online identity theft to subject them to that platform

For all those asking how can my kids identify be stolen :

http://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborough-county/sharenting-can-lead-to-your-kids-identity-being-stolen/954917931
redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:49 AM
How can someone steal an identity from instagram? You don't post your SS# there.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No, my kids don’t have social media they are 5-12 years of age. I’m too concerned with child predators and online identity theft to subject them to that platform.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope. I won't allow either boy to have social media until they are at lest 14. I'm your case I can understand why you chose to go that route. There is no extenuating circumstances that would indicate my sons need social media.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:49 AM

No I don't have any such interest in instagram for my young kids.  My older teens have it of course.

redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:50 AM
yeah I did not do it for my other son the same age. He has no reason for it. He has asked about starting a youtube channel but I have not done it. He wants to try to do Let's plays but we don't even have the equipment for that so yeah........not happening right now

Quoting krazymom2boyz: Nope. I won't allow either boy to have social media until they are at lest 14. I'm your case I can understand why you chose to go that route. There is no extenuating circumstances that would indicate my sons need social media.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeh all my kids have had it since junior high. They primarily use Snapchat though. 

mjande4
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Online identity theft!? That's a new one. Please explain.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No, my kids don’t have social media they are 5-12 years of age. I’m too concerned with child predators and online identity theft to subject them to that platform.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:53 AM
Doesn’t matter, all these jerks needs is your full name and location and DOB examples “Here’s Thomas Smith born at 11:32 am on 02/03/2030 in Smalltown, NY “ and they can do whatever on the dark web to phish your kids info and destroy their credit. It has happened a lot!

People overshare all the time and make it easy to
Put the puzzle together for these scammers

http://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborough-county/sharenting-can-lead-to-your-kids-identity-being-stolen/954917931

Quoting redbottoms: How can someone steal an identity from instagram? You don't post your SS# there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:53 AM

Quoting mjande4:

Online identity theft!? That's a new one. Please explain.

redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM
well his time and date of birth is not on there............

Quoting Anonymous 1: Doesn’t matter, all these jerks needs is your full name and location and DOB examples “Here’s Thomas Smith born at 11:32 am on 02/03/2030 in Smalltown, NY “ and they can do whatever on the dark web to phish your kids info and destroy their credit. It has happened a lot!

People overshare all the time and make it easy to
Put the puzzle together for these scammers

Quoting redbottoms: How can someone steal an identity from instagram? You don't post your SS# there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)