Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Living next to mil & sil's.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 139 Replies
My grandma passed away and left the grandkids (myself, my sister, & my brother) a good sum of money. We, along with our mom, decided to buy homes in a new development where they build in individual cul-de-sacs. We bought a 4 house cul-de-sac so we are the only houses. They aren't built yet but we are so excited. All of us siblings are really close to each other and our mom. My mom is widowed so it will be great when she gets older to be right there next door to her. My sister is a single mom of two so it'll be nice for her to have us around for help when she needs it. My brother is a single guy (dating), and I am married with 4 kids. It's also great because the cousins have grown up together and are very close so now they can play together all the time. Everyone is really happy and excited except for my brother's gf. They have been dating for a little over a year and she isn't too keen on the idea of living next door to her mil and sil's if they get married, which is what she's hoping for (they don't live together now). My brother isn't backing out though so she's basically going to have to deal with it if she wants to be with him. She gets along with the family pretty well and seems to like all of us so idk why she's unhappy about it.
How would you react about your bf, hopefully future spouse, buying a home next door to his sisters and mom? Let's say, hypothetically, you do get along with them so the evil mil/sil doesn't apply here.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn’t be thrilled about living next to my MIL either.
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Too much family closeness for me.

I haven't lived in the same CITY as any relatives since I was 19.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this
I would hate it if I were any of you. I am a private person and family members are always nosey. I also wouldn't want my husband's nieces and nephews coming over all the time. But she knows how your family is, so she can make the choice to stay or go.
MonarchMom22
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:56 PM
13 moms liked this

It is very hard to be newly married and not have any privacy.  Even if peopel aren't inside your house, as neighbors they know when you are home, what car you drive, who visits you, etc.  That is a lot of "togetherness" for a new couple.  I'm not surpised she isn't keen on the idea.  And she may have wanted to pick out her own home and location.

I would not judge her over this, and I would stay out of it altogether.  If they marry he may decide to rent his house out or sell - so bear that in mind as you make plans.  It will be her life too.

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:56 PM
3 moms liked this

id break up with him.that has 'nightmare' written all over it..

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:57 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:58 PM

My husband bought land before we were engaged or living together and I was part of that decision.  If I was planning on living with someone at some point and they made a (assumed) permanent housing decision and didn't include me, I'd realize he wasn't on the same page as I was and move on.  MIL/SIL doesn't change anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:59 PM
I lived next to my inlaws, and two SILs for a while... it was stupid. I hated how everyone was constantly up each other’s ass... My dad passed away too and I would like being next to my family so I get it, but being next to my inlaws again blahhhh. We live far away from both sides instead.
Theresa1209
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:00 PM
I wouldn't care. I like my family
MHLittlepie
by Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I am lucky and love my MIL and my partners sister I would love to be living so close.

We all get along and im really lucky to have them in my life. I think its a wonderful thing what you are doing with your siblings. Life is so short and if you can all live close and have close relationships then I think It is a wonderful thing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)