Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You need to figure something out, letting her skip school when she wants is not the answer.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

My daughter and her best friend are both in the 4th grade.  My daughter always talks about how her friend who is in her class isn't there on this day and that day, she misses a ton of school.  A few weeks ago at her friends birthday party I was talking to the mom when I was dropping my daughter off and she was telling me that she lets her child go to school when she wants and stay home when she wants.  Se has adhd, add and really bad anxiety.  She said her daughters therapist agrees with this and that the school can try to call cps on her like they are threatening to do from missing so many days but that she has a valid excuse to miss s many days.  She also said that she hears so many kids are committing suicide and since she was bullied in the past she doesn't want to take any chances so she doesn't want to make her go.  My daughter was telling me that her friend is very behind in lots of things and gets sad because of it.  It's not my child but I feel bad for her and feel like her mom needs to come up with a different solution then missing school when she wants.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:30 PM

bump.

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:31 PM

the catching up can make her anxiety worse.she needs a better solution.

emandab
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. Being so far behind her peers is only going to give her more anxiety. Not to mention that a ten yr old is quickly figuring out that she rules the roost, not mom. Mom needs to find an alternative solution before she loses all control over her daughter and the situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:44 PM

I agree and eventually she's going to fail if she keeps missing so much school as the grades go on.

Quoting emandab: I agree with you. Being so far behind her peers is only going to give her more anxiety. Not to mention that a ten yr old is quickly figuring out that she rules the roost, not mom. Mom needs to find an alternative solution before she loses all control over her daughter and the situation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:45 PM

I hope CPS takes that child and places her in a home that will acutally help her. The mother is not doing that child any favors, as evidenced by how behind she is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:46 PM
This is what I was thinking.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

the catching up can make her anxiety worse.she needs a better solution.

LaughinTattoo7
by Frenchy on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont disagree with the mom and I dont disagree with you. School is a scary place in this day and age. At the very least, the mom should have a tutor to help her dd on what she misses if she chooses to continue this path. She doesnt want to "solve" one problem to create another

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM
I have not ever met a therapist who would encourage a parent to go keep a child out of school unless there was a legitimate illness.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I agree and eventually she's going to fail if she keeps missing so much school as the grades go on.

Quoting emandab: I agree with you. Being so far behind her peers is only going to give her more anxiety. Not to mention that a ten yr old is quickly figuring out that she rules the roost, not mom. Mom needs to find an alternative solution before she loses all control over her daughter and the situation.

redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:49 PM
yeah that is bad parenting. She needs to get her on some meds that work and in therapy and otherwise still make her go to school. If she is being bullied-deal with that by switching schools or making the school deal with the bully or whatever but not attending school and being educated is not an option.

I was that kid in 8th grade. My mom could/would not stop the bullying so she just let me stay home a lot. I went maybe 3 out of every 5 school days that year. I was smart so I did not really suffer for it but I don't think that was the best way to handle all of that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That woukd be far more traumatic for a child compared to missing too many days of school.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I hope CPS takes that child and places her in a home that will acutally help her. The mother is not doing that child any favors, as evidenced by how behind she is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)