Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really necessary to wipe baby’s gums with a wash cloth?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:21 AM
  • 51 Replies
I have been since his pediatrician recommended it but I’m curious, is it necessary? My mom said she never did that with us kids.. also pulling on the tip of their penis to stretch it out? I got him circumcised when he was a newborn, now every diaper change I have to stretch out his penis. Again, my mom never did this my two brothers
by on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ash452345
by MamaBear on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:24 AM
Bumppp
rachel216
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:27 AM
Please do not try and stretch his penis!! Just no!!! And I use to wipe my sons gums because,of his meds but I never,did with my other kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I wiped my daughter's gums, and then started brushing them with a very soft tooth brush when she started cutting teeth. Oral hygiene is important for babies overall health.
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:31 AM

Why can't you wipe out your baby's mouth? Food and milk sour in a baby's mouth just as they do an adult's.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:32 AM
Wiping baby’s mouth out yes. Umm as far as cleaning him with a wipe during diaper changes or washing him during a bath you don’t do anything with his penis. I don’t know what kind of pediatrician you are going to but no you don’t stretch him. And yes I have a son as well who was circumcised.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:35 AM
Yes, you should wipe your baby’s mouth. It removes food debris and also establishes oral care at an early age.

You only need to “stretch” the folds of your baby’s penis if he is prone to infections or rashes within the folds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Umm, umm...who said to pull on your child's penis?

Wiping the gums though, yes I did this, and used finger brushes. Cleaning a baby's gums is perfectly normal and not verging on pedophilia.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Wiping the gums just gets them used to having their mouth messed with, I never did and just brushed their teeth once they popped through.

Leave his penis alone. Did he give a reason for stretching? Sounds weird and unnecessary.
Ash452345
by MamaBear on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:45 AM
i don’t lol. His pediatrician gets irritated because she says I need to do it. I just don’t see why it’s a thing?

Quoting rachel216: Please do not try and stretch his penis!! Just no!!! And I use to wipe my sons gums because,of his meds but I never,did with my other kids.
Ash452345
by MamaBear on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:46 AM
I do everyday, as I said in the OP

Quoting susannah2000:

Why can't you wipe out your baby's mouth? Food and milk sour in a baby's mouth just as they do an adult's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)