Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wish we could figure out what’s going on with this kid!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 128 Replies
I just had a meeting with my 7 year old’s school. His teacher tells me he’s incredibly smart but his behavior issues are driving everyone bonkers. Basically she said she can have very high level conversations with him but getting what he knows on paper is like pulling teeth. She also said he wanders around the classroom and he gets over excited or very upset very easily. That he cries and hits himself and stammers/struggles to express his thoughts when he’s upset. He hates any change in schedule , gets hung up on details and doesn’t seem to connect consequences with his actions at all. And he really struggles with his fine mother skills even though they were great when he was 2-3 years old. His dad and I have noticed a lot of the same things at home. Most of the time he’s a great kid but it’s unpredictible when he’ll have a bad day. He gets consistent discipline when he acts up and rewards when he’s good. He seems like he hates this as much as we do and often says he’s just a bad kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2018 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lleuad
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like he might have some learning problems such as dysgraphia and Adhd. The sooner you get him diagnosed and his needs
addressed the better.

https://www.additudemag.com/screener-dysgraphia-symptoms-test-children/
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:15 AM
I’d talk to his doctor. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:28 AM
I have but she didn’t seem concerned. I asked his teacher to write up her concerns hoping the doctor would put more stock in her assessment.

Quoting vegaswife2011: I’d talk to his doctor. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:28 AM
Thanks.

Quoting lleuad: It sounds like he might have some learning problems such as dysgraphia and Adhd. The sooner you get him diagnosed and his needs
addressed the better.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:33 AM
Hopefully that will help.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have but she didn’t seem concerned. I asked his teacher to write up her concerns hoping the doctor would put more stock in her assessment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree.

We just had my 8 year old complete a full neuropsychological evaluation. We get the results tomorrow. My short list is dyscalculia with something else behind that.

Ask around for a recommendation for a good neuropsychologist. IMO stay away from school testing if you can afford to do it on your own.

Someone on here told me that in their state the school district actually paid for her private evaluation. She picked the doctor, they paid the bill. Maybe look and see if your state has the same plan.

Quoting lleuad: It sounds like he might have some learning problems such as dysgraphia and Adhd. The sooner you get him diagnosed and his needs
addressed the better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully.

Quoting vegaswife2011: Hopefully that will help.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have but she didn’t seem concerned. I asked his teacher to write up her concerns hoping the doctor would put more stock in her assessment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:36 AM
Our insurance will cover it if I can get a referral from his pediatrician. Hopefully a note from his teacher will get one.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I completely agree.

We just had my 8 year old complete a full neuropsychological evaluation. We get the results tomorrow. My short list is dyscalculia with something else behind that.

Ask around for a recommendation for a good neuropsychologist. IMO stay away from school testing if you can afford to do it on your own.

Someone on here told me that in their state the school district actually paid for her private evaluation. She picked the doctor, they paid the bill. Maybe look and see if your state has the same plan.

addressed the better.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:38 AM
Hang in there mama. You’ll get to the bottom of it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Hopefully.

Quoting vegaswife2011: Hopefully that will help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 9:38 AM
My oldest was the exact same way. He was misdiagnosed a couple of different times before they settled on calling it autism. The thing that helped him the most was homeschooling him. The classroom model wasnt a good fit. He needed a different merhod. Once he came home, so many of those odd tics,behaviors, and the inability to focus pretty much disappeared.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)