Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you're a parent of multiple children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

would you honestly say that you treat/treated your children 100% the same? If not, why? I have a few friends who are all middle children and have all said the same thing, "middle children don't get as much as the first born and the youngest sibling." Now that I've heard this personally 4 times, I'm starting to believe it lol.

edit: when I asked if they're treated differently, I'm leaning more towards the side of material things, like paying for their education, and how much you do for them financially or how close you are to them versus your other kid(s)? I'm assuming you love them equally, though.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:35 PM
I have 2 parent them differently
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM
I have four children. I treat them the same. There is no middle child in our dynamic.
lalaballet
by Wrapper on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM
Middle child here. Agree.
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM

I have three children and I wouldnt say I have a middle child, my second pregnancy was twins so I have a 7yo and 2 1/2 year old's so I guess just two second children? lol I meant technically my oldest by 20 minutes child is the middle child but I dont think 20 minutes really COUNTS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:38 PM
I have 2 about to have my 3rd I parent them differently based on individual needs my current youngest soon to be middle has Always been a do it himself independent child where as my oldest is a very much attached mommy's boy with several special needs. Just because I parent different doesn't mean one one more favored I love them both with ever fiber of me
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:40 PM

Quoting lalaballet: Middle child here. Agree.

Lol my SO is a middle child. He has an older brother and a younger sister, and his parents always jokingly say that he was supposed to be the girl. However, he swears they're being serious when they say that. His younger sister is spoiled rotten.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:40 PM
I don’t treat them the same because they aren’t the same. My oldest is a show off and loves attention, my second is quiet and likes to do his own thing, my 3rd is clingy but she is more like my second than my first.

My sister says that she has middle child syndrome but the fact is I was a problem child with a 1001 issues and my older brother (first born) didn’t want any attention. He liked doing his own thing. My sister was the perfect child and got all the praise but my parents were kind of forced to give me the attention since I was such a pain in the ass.

Eta Since you ask about material things... my sister thinks I’m the spoiled one until I remind her that her and my brother got cars for their 16th birthday while I only got golf clubs lol I was spoiled with attention (mainly negative attention) but they were both more materialistic than I was.
cybcm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:41 PM
No, because they're not all the same. They each have individual needs that require different approaches and interactions.
alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:41 PM

I have 3 daughters. They are all held to the same standards however each is treated differently as they are individuals. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 22, 2018 at 11:42 PM
All children are parented differently. My oldest was the one I made the majority of the mistakes with. My second child gets away with a lot more, and the youngest is the most spoiled. Not purposefully. I have learned to let a lot of unimportant things go, and I am just too damn tired to argue sometimes. I have a different relationship with all my children, but I love them all the same.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)