Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

being in high school plus a job and being in a sport

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this
I did that growing up and my grades suffered because I wouldn't be home until 9pm and have zero energy to do homework. So when my daughter is in high school, I won't encourage a job.. i will help pay for everything so she isn't overwhelmed like me.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:40 AM
I have never made my kid work in high school either. I'm her parent, I am responsible for supporting her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:41 AM
I prefer that my kids not work and enjoy playing sports and keep their grades up during the school year. My oldest did work his senior year because he decided he no longer wanted to play sports.

My youngest has a job interview this week for a summer job but she knows that with sports and her school schedule she can’t work during the year.

I have no problem paying for what they need and want as long as the grades stay high and they help around the house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:43 AM
My daughter loves her job. She doesn't need one but is very much like I was and proud of what she can accomplish by herself. I feel I would be doing her a disservice not to let her. Especially because her grades are great. She just made National Honor Society in fact. Do what's best for your baby mama, you know what that is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:46 AM
My grades never suffered, but through Junior year I worked mostly early mornings, weekends, and breaks.

Senior year though I worked until midnight in a different time zone (1am at home) and drive 40 minutes one way. I had to be back up at 5am to do chores before school. That year was rough, my grades didnt suffer but my attitude and sleep did.
elizabooks
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:47 AM
I would suggest dropping the sport and working weekends or early mornings.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I will help to an extent. If she wants her own vehicle, plus a cell phone, new clothes and make up every week, plus 50-100 bucks in spending money every weekend like I did when I was a teen, then yeah...she will be earning some of that herself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:55 AM
My ds is 14 and wants a job and is in football. I’ve already explained that his schoolwork comes above all of that. But I would still encourage experience, even volunteering regularly. For one, it looks good on a resume. For two, I’ve worked with too many young kids who think they know everything since they have a college degree, but still have no clue because they have no real work experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:56 AM
My children must be in a sport or work at our church
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:59 AM
My sons all worked weekends, played sports and graduated with 4.0 or higher GPA's. My daughter in law worked 30 hours a week starting at 16 and she high school and college for her last 2 years of her high school years, graduating with her first college degree a week before her high school graduation, and maintained GPA's that exceeded 4.0 with both and her brother did the same. None of them feel like they were deprived of anything, they appreciate being taught the value of hard work and learning to balance life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM
What do you mean by early mornings? My high school started at 7:30am.

Quoting elizabooks: I would suggest dropping the sport and working weekends or early mornings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)