Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well that was unexpected....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
We have a hedgehog, he lives in the bathroom because it's a small enough room to keep warm for him. I opened the door to the bathroom and said hedgehog comes running out of the door. This is unexpected because he has a home that sits on a shelf, it doesn't have a top because hedgies don't really climb apparently my guess anyway is he got really excited running on his wheel he knocked his house down. Talk about a wake up...
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:14 AM

Mobile Photo

This is the sneaky little guy... thankfully he was fine from his fall...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:15 AM
I want one 😍 are they a lot of work to take care of? Expensive?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:21 AM
He's a rescue, we do a lot of small animal rescue, compared to the chinchillas he's fairly easy, he eats high quality cat food and meal worms as treats, the meal worms gross me out lol. Fresh water every day and we change his bedding once to twice a week. They need a little place to hide and some exercise. A warm room or heating rock because if they get to cold they can go into hibernation mode which can kill them. Because he is a rescue he is a little grumpy And doesnt like to be handled he doesn't bite just hisses and curls up. Overall they aren't hard to take care off but buying them can be pricey from what I've seen. Like I said we do small animal rescuing because so many times people buy small pets not realizing the care they need, this guy they never handled and fed him the wrong kind of food he was so overweight when we got him he couldn't even curl up into defense mode.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I want one 😍 are they a lot of work to take care of? Expensive?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:24 AM
I love him even with his grumpy attitude he is still super cute, I was really afraid something happened when he fell, kids helped clean his house today and I think they may have had it to forward on the shelf with his wheel in front.

Oh they also like to burrow so making sure there is enough bedding preferably paper bedding in spot for them to burrow makes them happy.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I want one 😍 are they a lot of work to take care of? Expensive?
MommysGirls0607
by Super mom 4 💖 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:24 AM
Aww he is a cutie..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:24 AM
Um, who told you that hedgehogs don't climb? I was a go to forever home for 3 hedgie rescue groups starting in 2002 and took in 14 over a 3 year time frame. The ones that I had loved to climb up the walls of their houses. We had a huge condo that my husband built using wood and chicken wire that was 12 feet long, 4 feet deep and 8 feet tall and we had it divided in to several rooms (males alone, females 2 to a room, solid walls in between each space) and had 3 levels. You can find many videos online with climbing hedgies, they are pro escape artists. I am glad that your little guy is okay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:25 AM
Fleece sleeping bags are great too. You can find them for hedgehogs online or make your own.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I love him even with his grumpy attitude he is still super cute, I was really afraid something happened when he fell, kids helped clean his house today and I think they may have had it to forward on the shelf with his wheel in front.

Oh they also like to burrow so making sure there is enough bedding preferably paper bedding in spot for them to burrow makes them happy.
Quoting Anonymous 2: I want one � are they a lot of work to take care of? Expensive?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:28 AM
It may be because ours is in a clear tote, maybe t hats why DH put him okkn the clear tote instead of the barred cage, the hedgie he had before we met was in a cage this guy lives in a huge clear tote. So I've never actually seen him climb with his tiny legs, I think of more the chinchillas when I think climbers. Maybe t hats why DH insist on the solid side tote instead of cage lol.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Um, who told you that hedgehogs don't climb? I was a go to forever home for 3 hedgie rescue groups starting in 2002 and took in 14 over a 3 year time frame. The ones that I had loved to climb up the walls of their houses. We had a huge condo that my husband built using wood and chicken wire that was 12 feet long, 4 feet deep and 8 feet tall and we had it divided in to several rooms (males alone, females 2 to a room, solid walls in between each space) and had 3 levels. You can find many videos online with climbing hedgies, they are pro escape artists. I am glad that your little guy is okay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:36 AM
I want one so bad! But afraid my kitties would try and eat it. He's adorable!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:38 AM
Pray he doesn’t accidentally poke his eyes out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)