Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH's friend wants us to replace his equipment

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies

DH and I took DS to Hawaii for a mini vacation for his birthday. While we were gone, we had DH's friend dog sit for us. DH's friend lives with his parents and so this was a nice break for him because he's always complaining about them. 

So we did compensate him for being there. We bought him a ton of steaks, sodas, full fridge of other groceries, and gave him $300 cash. We were gone for 5 days. 

On our last night there, his friend texted dh saying that someone stole some of his work equipment from the back of his truck while it was at our house. I don't know what kind of equipment he had but if it helps, he's an electrician. 

Now, he KNOWS we do not live in the best of neighborhoods. Sure, it looks decent but there are thieves in all corners of the world. He was told not to leave anything valuable IN his truck or in the bed of it. There's plenty of room on our enclosed porch that locks. But did he listen? NOOOOO! 

He's requesting DH reimburse him for the equipment stolen which he claimed for $400 worth of tools since he bought most of it at a pawn shop.

I feel for him. I truly do but I'm torn on whose responsible for it. I mean, he was at our house but the vehicle wasn't even on our property. He parked it on the street due to we don't have an actual driveway. Everyone parks on the street. 

Advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thewife06
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope. He was told not to leave anything in the vehicle.
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Why doesn't he make a police report? 

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:06 AM
4 moms liked this
Did he call the cops? This is on him.

He is a grown man and you were nice enough to leave food and money for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:07 AM
4 moms liked this
Nope he needs to contact police, and file a claim with his insurance. Though since he was dumb enough to not secure the equipment chances are insurance will tell him to go fuck himself. I would change your locks when you get back incase the decided to make a duplicate.
andrea.jordan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I would laugh at him because you gave him $300 so he basically has what he's asking for. Plus are you sure anything was actually stolen? He could just say something was stolen to get more money. I would make him file a police report before you give him any money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it worth losing his friendship? I would replace the tools if I wanted him in my life.

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:31 AM
It is his problem and honestly not worth the deductible on home or auto. You could split the difference with him to be nice but you really hold no responsibility.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:45 AM

How is it in any way your fault?  You don't owe him anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:55 AM
1 mom liked this

This stuff was just lying in the bed of his truck??? And he's surprised it got stolen? Why didn't he go to the police? Wasn't he insured?

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:03 AM
I would tell him that i am sorry but I didn't steal it and his truck and his equipment is his responsibility.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)