Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much money would you give her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 136 Replies
Dd’s big end of the year 8th grade trip is coming up soon. They’re going to NYC for 3 days. The papers I’ve had to read and fill out all say to give the student an appropriate amount of spending money for souvenirs and snacks. Meals and regular snacks will be included but the kids will be allowed to buy snacks or drinks if they want. Sooo what say you is an appropriate amount of money to give a 14 yr old for 2 nights and 3 days in NYC.

(If it matters they’ll be going to the American museum of natural history where they can buy souvenirs, they’ll be able to get snacks at the hotel vending machines, they’re going to see Wicked, Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty, eat at Hard Rock Cafe and do a bus tour of Manhattan )
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:25 AM
2 moms liked this
I gave mine a pre paid credit card of $500 plus $250 in cash.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:28 AM
A few hundred at least. I'd maybe give her a prepaid reloadable Visa in case I needed to add more to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I was going to say $100. Guess I’m the cheap one here.
createive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:30 AM
They’re probably going to do lots of things other than “shopping” though NY is expensive, I’d give her $200 and ask for change back.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe $150 per day. As another anon said, a prepaid card would be a great idea
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:37 AM
3 moms liked this
$100 in NYC is nothing.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I was going to say $100. Guess I’m the cheap one here.
redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:38 AM
$300 to $200. But I would not trust her with that much cash and would be worried she would lose it. I might consider letting her borrow our credit card for the trip

or what someone else said maybe a prepaid card
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:40 AM
Im a Ny’er and as an FYI stuff is $$$$$ here!

I think a cc/ dc is a great idea for her to shop at the stores. So you could put more than necessary on there, like 250-350 Then Id give her another 150 for any cash she needs. She could always go to an atm and get more cash if she needs it.

A trip into Starbucks can be 15.00 but you can cc / dc that. Its just little things (like nyc pretzel!!) she’ll need cash for.

I’d talk to the school about what they feel is reasonable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:40 AM
$250 would be more than sufficient. She doesn't need to buy snacks all day long, if her meals are covered. And a t-shirt here and there isnt going to be super expensive.

Carmel63
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 7:52 AM
The trip is paid for, to include meals and some snacks. I am the cheap one. I say at the most I would give $50.00. I do not encourage souvenirs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)