Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling guilty...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My adult daughter went and adopted a dog a few months ago.  She is in the reserves and knew there was a chance that she would be put on orders for an extended period of time.  She was recently told that she has to go on orders for 4 weeks for training.  She has to put the dog in a kennel for that time.  My husband wants us to care for the dog.  I would be the one doing it all so I told him no way.   I am hardly home  and I feel that or is not right for me to have to be guilted into taking care of her dog.  

My vent for the day.  I am not giving in on this one!  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:28 AM
I think I’d be willing to make an exception if my daughter was in that position. Then again, I really don’t like dogs. Not dogs actually just them being in my house or having to be in someone’s house and they are all over me.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
It's your choice of course but it's 4 weeks not 4 years. If the dog is well behaved then I would do it without a problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM
I wouldn't do it soley because then you'll end up the go-to every time she needs help with the dog.

No thanks.
Kmary
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM
I’d probably do it if the dog is well trained, etc. That being said, you’re under no obligation to do so and I find it somewhat irresponsible of your dd to adopt a dog at this point in her life. It’s not conducive to her lifestyle right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:31 AM
Quality parenting (and adulting) is putting your wants aside for the needs of your family.

Im sure its a big expense to board the dog. We are going away for 3 days and its 325.00. It also breaks my heart because I hate to think my rescue thinks we are “done with her.” 😪

Maybe your DD could pay you so the inconvenience is rewarded?
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM

I wouldnt either. If I wanted a pet and the responsibility of one I would get my own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:37 AM
I would do it, because her father is who would be taking primary care of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:48 AM
I'd do anything for my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:48 AM

I told her the same  about it not being conducive to her lifestyle.  I just wish she had listened.  

Quoting Kmary: I’d probably do it if the dog is well trained, etc. That being said, you’re under no obligation to do so and I find it somewhat irresponsible of your dd to adopt a dog at this point in her life. It’s not conducive to her lifestyle right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:51 AM

I have to disagree.  It is not my responsibility to do this and she needs to be esponsible for her own actions.    I have no time in the day to take care of the animal.  I am in school full time during the week and have two kids in school and heavily involved in sports.   I literally leave the house at 7:30 am and do not gat back home until after 5 pm.  

Quoting Anonymous 4: Quality parenting (and adulting) is putting your wants aside for the needs of your family. Im sure its a big expense to board the dog. We are going away for 3 days and its 325.00. It also breaks my heart because I hate to think my rescue thinks we are “done with her.” 😪 Maybe your DD could pay you so the inconvenience is rewarded?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)