Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh Dental procedure

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
My middle child has an extreme fear of the dentist. She needs dental work done. We decided it'd be best to do full sedation. Unfortunately they scheduled her for a 12 o'clock appointment. She can't eat or drink anything after 10pm. She's 8 years old. How can I make the morning go well? I'm sure you're going to ask so her full diagnosis are ASD, SPD, ADHD and anxiety.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM
Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM
Keep her up until 10 and let her have a snack as close to it as possible. Then distract her until time to go to the dentist. Let her sleep in and dont get her ready until the last moment.
VickyJoJo
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Did you ask why they have her appointment scheduled for mid-day?  Push to see if the appointment can be moved to earlier in the day.  If not, do as Anon 2 suggested.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:11 AM
I did ask for it to not be in the middle of the day but they said it goes by order of age and other conditions like diabetic kids will go first. Fine. We've been waiting since October for the procedure to be done.

Quoting VickyJoJo:

Did you ask why they have her appointment scheduled for mid-day?  Push to see if the appointment can be moved to earlier in the day.  If not, do as Anon 2 suggested.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:11 AM
That's what I'm hoping for.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Keep her up until 10 and let her have a snack as close to it as possible. Then distract her until time to go to the dentist. Let her sleep in and dont get her ready until the last moment.
VickyJoJo
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM

Bummer.  Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I did ask for it to not be in the middle of the day but they said it goes by order of age and other conditions like diabetic kids will go first. Fine. We've been waiting since October for the procedure to be done.
Quoting VickyJoJo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM
Thanks

Quoting VickyJoJo:

Bummer.  Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I did ask for it to not be in the middle of the day but they said it goes by order of age and other conditions like diabetic kids will go first. Fine. We've been waiting since October for the procedure to be done.

Quoting VickyJoJo:

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM

I hope everything goes well. I agree with keeping her up until 10 and giving her something to eat then before bed. Let her sleep in. Good luck. I have horrible anxiety about the dentist and know how tough it is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM
I would reschedule to an earlier appointment. My daughter had to go tot he hospital for her dental procedure to be sedated, but I wouldn’t accept anything other than an early morning appointment. If it was a tween/teen that would be a different story, but under age 10, no way and I making them go that long without food or drink.
shadow_lark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM
I would tell them they find me an earlier appointment or I take my business elsewhere. I've done sedation procedures myself and for my kids and waiting til noon is going to make the after time even more hellish. I get their reasoning, but making any child go 14 hours without food is unacceptable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)