Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any other ideas?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM
  • 57 Replies

My son is a teenager now and does not want to share a bday party with his sister. (she is 3 years younger). They were both born in the same month so we combined most of their parties over the years. Last year we did separate parties but honestly, it was just too much. We invited the same people to both parties within 6 days apart. I think that is too much to ask for family and friends to attend 2 different parties in less than 1 week.

So this year, I am thinking of just inviting people to one of the parties and saying it's a combined party, but then one of the parties will just be the kids there (not our family and friends).

Or is there any other ideas that could make this work? TIA!

by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM
Throw two parties. They aren't twins.
momof2555
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:17 AM

I think it's too much on family and friends to show up to 2 different parties so close together.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Throw two parties. They aren't twins.

Lunarprancer
by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Let them each have a thing with their friends separately and if you want to do a family one, yeah combine that. Lol, or is that what you already said?

Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Just have parties for THEIR friends.  Or - talk to both of the kids, and see if THEY can come up with an idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM
You made your kids share a party? They’re individuals and not even twins. I can’t even.
I got 3 in one month they each get separate parties, always have.
Malissa1578
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM

I have children born in the same month, two years apart. When they were little combined parties were fine, but they start developing their own lives and friends and should have their own parties. Friends and family will either come to both or not. It's not about the friends and family, it's about the child/teenager. Eventually combined parties do not work. 

momof2555
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM

i don't want to have 3 parties (one for each kid with their friends and then one family one), so we used to have just one party, but then last year we had 2 parties but that felt overwhelming. i am thinking that if we have family and adult friends come to just one of them, then the other one will just be for their friends.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Let them each have a thing with their friends separately and if you want to do a family one, yeah combine that. Lol, or is that what you already said?

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Maybe do a family party and then something special for each of them. They could go to a movie with one friend or something like that. My girls birthdays are a few days a part and we do combined family party and try to do something fun for their birthday. They get a cup cake to take to school, a gift on their birthday and maybe something more.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have 3 parties tbh, I would have 2 friends parties and one family party. 

Your thoughts on one party for family and friends and the other just friends is kind of hurtful.  If you don't like 3 parties then I would separate them a bit more and have at least 2wks in between the two parties.  That is not to much to ask from anyone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM
Did you have to share your birthday parties with your sibling?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)