Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe anyone would think this way.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies

My sister has 6 children and 4 of them are in school.  They get all kinds of assistance including free breakfast and lunch at school because they are low income.  My sister won't let them eat breakfast or take lunch from home on school days because she always tells them that why pay for something you get for free.  They hate the school food and constantly say how lucky my daughter is because she takes her lunch when we visit together.  They live 6 hours away so we see each other a few times a year and talk on the phone regularly.  They get 800 a month in food stamps and always have enough food around so that's not the issue and yes I realize they aren't my kids and my sister can parent them how she wants.  I could never imagine myself making that rule.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this
That's the way most welfare moochers think.
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM
14 moms liked this

If she's low income with 8 people to feed, maybe she's trying to insure there's enough food in the house for dinners and weekends.

$800 isn't that much when you have 8 mouths eating...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
This!

There are 6 of us and we spent over a grand a month on food. Mind you we are not on assistance.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

If she's low income with 8 people to feed, maybe she's trying to insure there's enough food in the house for dinners and weekends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:34 AM

I make that rule and we don't even get assistance but my kids LOVE school lunches. 

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Exactly.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

imyourPuppy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM
I have nothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM
200 a week is not a lot of money.

The kids are fed. I don't see the issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM

They also go to 2-3 food banks and my parents give them 200 a month for food and I know they have enough her pantry is always stuffed to the brim with food when I visit.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM
3 moms liked this

My mom was never on food stamps or anything but I always qualified for free or reduced lunch.  For that reason I always ate the lunch at school.  The only time I ever brought my own lunch was for field trips and then it was hard finding stuff because we never kept "lunch" food in the house.

But it seems perfectly logical to me.  Why should my mom have spent money on constantly keeping bread and lunch meat and chips and stuff on hand when I could get food for free or cheap at school?  My son is the same way.  His school offers free breakfast and lunch to everyone regardless of income so he always eats the school food.  I'm not spending money on lunch for him when I don't have to.

Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I don't know... Maybe she feels insecure based on the amount of food in the house and attempts to keep the pantry stocked because of the feeling that it's going to be gone soon.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

They also go to 2-3 food banks and my parents give them 200 a month for food and I know they have enough her pantry is always stuffed to the brim with food when I visit.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)