Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Updated* Do I just have an incredibly low pain tolerance?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

Update:

They did x-rays and checked everything and said that everything looked fine.  Then, they did a cold test on several teeth.  One was super painful and the pain took a while to go away.  She waited a few minutes and tested it again but this time I felt absolutely nothing. She said that was a sign of a dead or dying root and probably the cause of my pain.

So she did a partial root canal. I guess this other dentist I have to go to later uses a microscope to make sure they get everything. She didn't think there was any infection though until she started cleaning it out and found infection. Two of the roots were totally dead already. She gave me antibiotics. Now I have to go to a different dentist to finish it and since it has a crown on it, I will probably need a new one.  Or they will decide I should just get an implant. There isn't much tooth left there for the crown to hold onto.

I've had 2 root canals before and they did about the same thing. If they used a microscope, I wasn't aware of it.  Anyway, today's root canal work was a breeze compared to those two other times. Maybe because I was in so much pain that I was willing to tolerate anything to make it go away.

I left the dentist office about 5 hours ago and the numbness is gone and I have zero pain other than a slightly sore jaw from holding mouth open for so long. Yay!

Thanks everyone, for your kind words and suggestions and information!

I have a dental appointment later today, but meanwhile I am dying in pain. Started a week ago and has gotten a million times worse over the last few days. I am having tooth/teeth pain that is more intense than I remember childbirth being. The pain doesn't feel like just one tooth, it feels like all the back teeth on one side and a little into the eye area and ear and neck. The pain comes in waves and then is gone for sometimes for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes only for a few minutes. Ibuprofen and tylenol do nothing for it.

The pain starts and builds for about a minute to it's peak and is so intense that I don't think I will be able to stand it any more. I shake and sweat and can hardly breath.Sometimes I throw up.  It lasts 3-5 minutes and then the pain goes down for about a minute and is gone again.  I've never experienced such intense pain before this.  WTH?!

I used to think that I had a fairly high tolerance for pain, but now I think maybe I have about zero tolerance. What is wrong with me?  Why is a toothache making me feel such intense pain?  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Clove oil would be your friend right now!

But no you’re not a wimp, the pain when it peaks is like a k I’ve in the skull.
justnosy2090
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM
You're about to get an infection in your brain
I.Am.Jester
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Tooth pain can be intense, its a totally stomach churning type of pain.  It can be crippling, its not you being weak.

redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Because you clearly have issues with the nerve inside the tooth. You probably have a cavity that exposed it. Any nerve that is exposed and being stimulated is going to hurt like a bitch

I.Am.Jester
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Image result for weirdo gif

Quoting justnosy2090: You're about to get an infection in your brain

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:04 PM
I think mouth/tooth pain is terrible especially when it’s in the nerves ugh... I had a bad reaction after dental surgery it was bad I was throwing up, and it gave me a migraine forget it. Cancer pain is worse but that’s the only thing.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Make sure you tell the dentist about the severity of the pain, including puking.  You will need something stronger than OTC pain meds after this procedure I'd imagine.  Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:10 PM

It sounds like a sinus infection. I have been going through something similar the last few weeks. Try taking some sinus meds and/or benedryl.

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Sounds like you have an infection.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Could you possibly have an infection? I've dealt with gum infections and cavities. The infections were the worst and no pain reliever helped. Antibiotics were the only thing that helped! Dental pain is seriously the worst pain I've ever dealt with. Good Luck! I hope your dental appointment brings some swift relief to you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)