Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter doesn't want to work on school project

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 140 Replies

DD9 has a poster project (a report on a country) that is due in a month. The class (3rd grade) has already had a month to work on it (total time to work on project is 2 months). Any time I suggest she works on it, she says she doesn't want to. She has done a little bit on it so far---she's written the title of it and she's written down a couple facts and glued down a couple of pictures. Everything is laid out on the table--the posterboard, the markers, pencil, scissors, etc. I am tired of reminding her.

Should I

1) keep patiently reminding her every day

2) remind her and threaten her with a punishment if she doesn't continue to work on the project

3) say nothing. If she doesn't do the project, she can go to school with nothing and cry.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
engagedandproud
by Diamond Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Let her learn a lesson and let her fail the project.
princessmara
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM
3, she knows when it is due and it's her responsibility.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I would demand that she work on it a little bit every week.  She wouldn't have an option to not work on it.  What is her country?  She's probably overwhelmed with the project.  Have you talked to her about what needs to be done?  Is there a check list?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM

2) there should be a consequense to her actions.

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:20 PM
My kids don't have the option of not doing it. They would sit with the project every night until it was done or the due date arrived. If they didn't complete it with at least a B grade, they would be grounded for 2 weeks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

BTW, if she doesn't do it, it's also a reflection on you at that age. There's a kid in my child's class who did not do 2 mandatory assignments and there were no ramifications at school for this other than a stern talking to. Everyone thinks his Mom is an asshole now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM
7 moms liked this
If you can't even make a third grader do her schoolwork, what chance do you have of managing a teenager? My advice is to get a handle on her disobedience quickly. It's not even about the project at this point.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:23 PM
11 moms liked this
IDGAF if DS doesn't want to do his homework, he's going to fucking do it. School stuff is non negotiable.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM
At her age I would tell her she needs to do it and there's no TV until she does
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM

On the kitchen table?  

N tablets/electronic until a good portion of it is done each day.  

I'd get it off the table

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)