Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Follow-Up Message from Starbucks CEO in Philadelphia

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM
  • 32 Replies

by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I appreciate him first taking responsibility and saying it is a top down management and training issues
md3mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM
My problem with his statement is he is focused on the policy. It is clear in this case and I just saw another case where the Store Managers are not applying policies consistently. They're deciding to apply the policies for people of color and they don't apply the policies when it's white people. That is completely unacceptable and store managers who do that need to be held accountable for that and face repercussions. Changing the policy won't help with that.
I_hateYou2
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

A plan is only as good as the people you have executing said plan.  Policy is not the issue.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Well said.

Quoting I_hateYou2:

A plan is only as good as the people you have executing said plan.  Policy is not the issue.

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I cannot tell you how many times we've stopped at the Starbucks on 95 near Spotsylvania to stop and pee and NOT buy anything.  And I've waited in the coffee house still not ordering anything waiting for my kid or hubs to come out of the bathroom.  And we have NEVER had the cops called on us.  What this Starbucks manager did was a massive and possibly irreparable blow to it's PR and good will in the community.  The store manager was wrong and should be fired.  And the cops should have chewed the manager out for wasting their time.  No laws had been broken.  The cops should be suspended.

jws120567
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's just talk, I think he's going to follow through on making sure this doesn't happen again in a Starbucks store.  He wasn't just talking, he was pissed!  Did you see how flushed his cheeks were?

MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:36 PM

What happened?

PJMM
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:52 PM
I'm at work so didn't read thoroughly but from what i understand two black men sat at a table without ordering. They said they were waiting for a third person to arrive. Stupid store manager called to have these men arrested for trespassing. The third person DID arrive during the arrest.

Quoting MistressMonster:

What happened?

MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh gee wiz. Shame on that store for their behavior.

Quoting PJMM: I'm at work so didn't read thoroughly but from what i understand two black men sat at a table without ordering. They said they were waiting for a third person to arrive. Stupid store manager called to have these men arrested for trespassing. The third person DID arrive during the arrest.
Quoting MistressMonster:

What happened?

Valentina327
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
He also mentioned additional training to recognise unconscious bias, which I think would cover what you're mentioning.

Quoting md3mom: My problem with his statement is he is focused on the policy. It is clear in this case and I just saw another case where the Store Managers are not applying policies consistently. They're deciding to apply the policies for people of color and they don't apply the policies when it's white people. That is completely unacceptable and store managers who do that need to be held accountable for that and face repercussions. Changing the policy won't help with that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)