Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 year old has adhd and possibly something else

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
My son is 10 1/2 years old. He has been diagnosed as having ADHD. He is very hyperactive.

I have been noticing other problems though. When he loses at games he gets upset and cries actually anytime he gets upset he will cry. He has been having nightmares frequently and gets in the bed with me. He isn't interested in activities with his peers boy scouts, sports, school dance etc...

His psychiatrist keeps saying it's his ADHD and doesn't seem concerned but it doesn't sound normal to me. He's had adhd for years without the nightmares, crying and emotional changes. His teachers aren't concerned either because he's a straight A student and his adhd is maintained.

It seems to me like he might have some kind of anxiety. Our insurance only covers one other place that works with kids and it has a 6 to 8 month waiting list. Idk what to do. I'm glad he's doing good in school but that doesn't mean he doesn't have issues. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do?

He goes to his psychiatrist again tommorow so I'm going to bring this all up again. Hopefully she will listen.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:54 PM
Mines severe adhd and 7 and acts the same way. No interest in friends or activities that are groups.
terra221
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:56 PM
10 yo boys can be as emotional as teenaged girls. My friend who is a fifth grade teacher has verified this.
createive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd get him on that list. The first thing that crossed my mind was "get a second opinion".

No one knows better than Mom.

My EX and his mom argued with me non-stop. I knew there was something "different" with my second daughter, couldn't pin-point it. Shorlty after her pre-school teacher (a matriarch in montessori) agreed with my suspicion.

She has a form of dyslexia that affects her executive functioning. I'm so thankful we found out so early and have been able to give her the resources so she can self-advicate. She's 16 now and is flourishing.

Hope his psychiatrist listens, in the mean time, get on the list. If you change your mind or soemthing comes up you can always cancel your appointment. You're a good mom!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:11 PM

WOW

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I know this is not normal and it really irritates me when I've heard people say if there was really a problem he wouldn't get such good grades. Those are two seperate things. Sometimes they overlap but sometimes they don't. :(

It is awesome you were able to get your dd the help she needed. I'm going to see if i can get ds some kind of therapy or further testing because he's almost 11 and idc what anyone says this is not normal!!

Quoting createive:

I'd get him on that list. The first thing that crossed my mind was "get a second opinion".

No one knows better than Mom.

My EX and his mom argued with me non-stop. I knew there was something "different" with my second daughter, couldn't pin-point it. Shorlty after her pre-school teacher (a matriarch in montessori) agreed with my suspicion.

She has a form of dyslexia that affects her executive functioning. I'm so thankful we found out so early and have been able to give her the resources so she can self-advicate. She's 16 now and is flourishing.

Hope his psychiatrist listens, in the mean time, get on the list. If you change your mind or soemthing comes up you can always cancel your appointment. You're a good mom!

Momlady41
by Member on Apr. 21, 2018 at 6:33 PM

I agree with "createive," definitely get him on that list. What I would also do though make sure he is not eatting alot of sweets or processed food and try to go organic. A good diet and exercise really make a difference with these kids. I know it has worked with my son. 

Good luck and keep being the advocate for your son.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM
He shouldn't be waiting 6 to 8 months for a therapist with the risk of symptoms escalating. I'd find a therapist who is out of network and then call your insurance and request an In for Out (IFO). Let them know the only place that is in network is booked out 6 months. You should be able to get the request approved if the out of network provider is willing to work with your insurer.
PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Apr. 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM

It sounds like anxiety to me too with puberty kicking in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)