Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents marrying again while kids are minors

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies
4 moms liked this
I saw in another post a reply that said something to the effect of, parents shouldn’t marry again while the kids are still minors. I have seen here many times that people say they would never date or that divorced parents shouldn’t date anyone new until the kids are adults.
I completely disagree. I am so grateful that my mom married my dad (step, obviously, but I don’t think of him as that). If she hadn’t I would have had my mom’s house and my bio dad’s house, not a family and a home. Since my mom married my dad, my sister and I had an actual family. We had a little brother in our home and we were all very happy. We went to visit my bio dad, his wife, and their son on bio dad’s time so we still saw him for visitation.
My sister and I have talked about it and we are both so happy and grateful that we still got to have an actual family and home, even though our parents divorced, instead of just passing back and forth between mom and dad’s house.

Do you think it’s fine for parents to date or marry before their kids are grown or do you think they should wait? What are your reasons for feeling the way you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think being a parent means you're dead, but your priorities better be straight.
redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
If Dh died tomorrow I would probably not marry till they were out of high school. They are 10 and in 5th grade. I can wait 7 more years to get married. I can date and see men etc but no actually moving him in or marriage till they finish school

My mom got married when I was 14 and I think she should have waited 5 years for me to get out of school. Would not have killed her. She could have dated him and all that without marrying and moving him in
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:50 PM
I remarried and I wish I wouldn’t have
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:51 PM

I agree with you OP I am so glad my mom remarried and gave me my dad and sisters.  We are such a close family and it was the best thing ever. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's a personal decision. I'm married for the second time. My kids were 8,5 and 4. They adore their step dad. BUT if we were to divorce I'm not marrying again. If the parent wishes to fine. If not, fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM
Why do you feel she should have waited?

Quoting redbottoms: If Dh died tomorrow I would probably not marry till they were out of high school. They are 10 and in 5th grade. I can wait 7 more years to get married. I can date and see men etc but no actually moving him in or marriage till they finish school

My mom got married when I was 14 and I think she should have waited 5 years for me to get out of school. Would not have killed her. She could have dated him and all that without marrying and moving him in
Anonymous
Why?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I remarried and I wish I wouldn’t have
Anonymous
I think that’s awesome! I’m glad you have that.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I agree with you OP I am so glad my mom remarried and gave me my dad and sisters.  We are such a close family and it was the best thing ever. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM
If my mom wouldn't have married my step dad i never would have had a dad, he died in 2009 and I miss him still everyday he was always there when we needed him.

Also dh is their (my kiddos) step dad, he is a fantastic father. They don't know any other dad

Quoting Anonymous 1: I saw in another post a reply that said something to the effect of, parents shouldn�t marry again while the kids are still minors. I have seen here many times that people say they would never date or that divorced parents shouldn�t date anyone new until the kids are adults.

I completely disagree. I am so grateful that my mom married my dad (step, obviously, but I don�t think of him as that). If she hadn�t I would have had my mom�s house and my bio dad�s house, not a family and a home. Since my mom married my dad, my sister and I had an actual family. We had a little brother in our home and we were all very happy. We went to visit my bio dad, his wife, and their son on bio dad�s time so we still saw him for visitation.

My sister and I have talked about it and we are both so happy and grateful that we still got to have an actual family and home, even though our parents divorced, instead of just passing back and forth between mom and dad�s house.

Do you think it�s fine for parents to date or marry before their kids are grown or do you think they should wait? What are your reasons for feeling the way you do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM
I just think we were better off before

Quoting Anonymous 1: Why?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I remarried and I wish I wouldn’t have
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)