Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you describe an example

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

...of what conditional love is like from a parent?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:32 PM
Conditional? That could be anything the parent doesn’t like, really.

Did you mean unconditional?
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:34 PM
Conditional love from parent example ~ if child turns to alcohol or drugs parents stop loving them. I am no way condoning this. I have seen it though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:36 PM
Not op but thanks for that description, that’s exactly how mine were, mind you not specifically drugs or alcohol.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Conditional love from parent example ~ if child turns to alcohol or drugs parents stop loving them. I am no way condoning this. I have seen it though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:37 PM
Conditional love is when a parent refuses to show love to a child who doesn't live up to the parents' expectations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:38 PM
Performance based love. Parents who show love when a child's behavior is acceptable, and withholding love or affection as punishment.

When mom refuses to "reward" bad grades and cancels your birthday. That's conditional love.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:40 PM
Love that is based on pleasing the parent or doing and being what the parent wants and if you don’t. They withhold love
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 9:47 PM

No, I meant conditional. I'm trying to figure out if that's how my relationship with my mother can be described. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Conditional? That could be anything the parent doesn’t like, really. Did you mean unconditional?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)