Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I failed him today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
Today my 6yo DS had surgery, and I failed him. He is ADHD and very sensitive to red40. During preop, the anesthesiologist brought in a small medicine cup with pink stuff that was supposed to relax DS. He was very anxious. I asked them, twice, if there was red dye in it. Both times I was told "probably not, but it won't matter after we put him to sleep". I said it did matter, because D'S gets manic when he has red dye. They insisted he would be asleep before he could react and he would sleep through the reaction, if there even was Red40, which was "unlikely". So I trusted the doctors. Within minutes after drinking it, D'S was flipping out. Crying, thrashing, trying to run away. They put him to sleep with the gas to stop him, said he'd be fine when he woke up in an hour. He was sobbing, begging me to take him home before he passed put. But the procedure, while short and small, was necessary. He broke his arm and it had to be fixed properly.

After the anesthesia wore off, he started waking up and panicked. It took 4 people to hold this 52lb little boy down so he didn't rip the iv out of his hand. He screamed and sobbed and kicked at anyone and anything he could reach. I failed him. I should never have let them give him the "relaxing" medicine. I won't be letting him go back there. They then sent us home with his eyes still dilated from the meds and him still manic. I had to sit in the back with him and hold him still in the car. What was already a scary experience was made so much worse because I trusted that doctor. I should have pushed harder or said no. I made the wrong choice. that's my confession today.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:39 PM
I'm so sorry! Breathe! It's over now. Poor kid.

When my child was a toddler he got hurt on his finger. It just kept bleeding. They suggested they glue the wound in the ER. It looked terrible and I wanted it redone. I said no, but they insisted it would heal fine and I gave in.

Now my son's index finger will be misshapen for life. That's always bothered me. It's not a big deal and doesn't effect his life at all. But to me it's a reminder that I let him down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:39 PM
Ok
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I am having a hard time believing it’s all from the red dye.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:46 PM
I’m going to use the red dye excuse every time I flip out.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I am having a hard time believing it’s all from the red dye.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:46 PM
I don't think this time was all the dye. I think it made it a lot worse though. this is the worst I have ever seen him, and it's the 4th time he's had Red 40.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I am having a hard time believing it’s all from the red dye.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:47 PM
oh? Do you have a tested, proven, medically documented aversion to it? Or are you just being a jerk?

Quoting Anonymous 4: I’m going to use the red dye excuse every time I flip out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:48 PM
So you cut out red dye when?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't think this time was all the dye. I think it made it a lot worse though. this is the worst I have ever seen him, and it's the 4th time he's had Red 40.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:49 PM
Does he have an allergy to red dye? Has it been tested? How?

Quoting Anonymous 1: oh? Do you have a tested, proven, medically documented aversion to it? Or are you just being a jerk?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:50 PM
It could actually be the cause of so many mental/emotional problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 10:55 PM
What do you mean?

Quoting Anonymous 1: oh? Do you have a tested, proven, medically documented aversion to it? Or are you just being a jerk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)