Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 year old thumb sucker

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

I can’t get him to quit sucking his thumb and now the dentist is recommending a bluegrass appliance

It looks like it will be so uncomfortable I wish he would stop sucking his thumb on his own

Btw he sucks his thumb all day and it’s causing dental problems so this isn’t just a night time habit
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:23 PM
Really? I was really lucky I sucked mine well into my twenties and my teeth are perfectly fine. I sucked it all day as a kid, stopped that at about 12 then only sucked it at night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:25 PM
He has developed an open bite because of the constant thumb sucking

Quoting Anonymous 2: Really? I was really lucky I sucked mine well into my twenties and my teeth are perfectly fine. I sucked it all day as a kid, stopped that at about 12 then only sucked it at night.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:26 PM
That looks like something out of a Saw movie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:28 PM
That’s what I said when I saw it

It has a roller that he can use his tongue to play with as a substitute and it’s supposed to make sucking your thumb uncomfortable

Quoting Ted1242: That looks like something out of a Saw movie.
FoxTroll
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:39 PM

Thumb sucking is a hard habit to break. My dad used to put stuff on mine and my sister's thumbs to keep us from doing it. Vinegar was the worst. My sister just rinsed it off, lol. I've got a small overbite, but nothing severe. Her teeth were straighter than mine. Try a reward system to help him stop. Maybe a small calendar and he can add a sticker to the days he doesn't suck his thumb. At the end of each week, do something fun, like go get ice cream or see a movie or something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:47 PM
We tried all different types of bitter, sour, and spicy flavors but he either liked the stuff we put on his thumb or would wipe it off

We tried a reward system where he would get a star for going an hour without sucking his thumb and he couldn’t do it

I was hoping he would stop when he started school but he doesn’t care and the kids are much nicer than when I went to the same school because he’s not being picked on at all... Which im Happy about but it’s still surprising to me

We also tried a thumb guard and he would chew on it until he could get it off

He has an open bite now but the dentist wants to break the thumb sucking habit before fixing the bite

Quoting FoxTroll:

Thumb sucking is a hard habit to break. My dad used to put stuff on mine and my sister's thumbs to keep us from doing it. Vinegar was the worst. My sister just rinsed it off, lol. I've got a small overbite, but nothing severe. Her teeth were straighter than mine. Try a reward system to help him stop. Maybe a small calendar and he can add a sticker to the days he doesn't suck his thumb. At the end of each week, do something fun, like go get ice cream or see a movie or something.

FoxTroll
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM

Hopefully he comes around. I'm still trying to get my oldest to stop biting his nails. Bad habits are the worst.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We tried all different types of bitter, sour, and spicy flavors but he either liked the stuff we put on his thumb or would wipe it off We tried a reward system where he would get a star for going an hour without sucking his thumb and he couldn’t do it I was hoping he would stop when he started school but he doesn’t care and the kids are much nicer than when I went to the same school because he’s not being picked on at all... Which im Happy about but it’s still surprising to me We also tried a thumb guard and he would chew on it until he could get it off He has an open bite now but the dentist wants to break the thumb sucking habit before fixing the bite
Quoting FoxTroll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)