Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwyd? Landlord raising rent

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM
  • 40 Replies
I don't have lease on me right now so I don't know what it says about time frame to raise rent.
Landlord just texted me saying she needs an extra 100 a month. Lease ends 4/30.
Now according to my state she's required to give me a 30 day notice on rent increases.
I want to write a letter and send it certified to her (pending reviewing my lease to see if it's written in lease she can raise rent within 2 weeks of lease ending) rejecting the offer and saying I'll stay at the original amount due to neglecting to abide by the contract with me.

So... wwyd?
by on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM
If she is in violation of the lease and tenant laws-send her a certified letter saying so and contact the housing board
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:38 PM
That depends on your state. Are you in a tenant's rights state or landlord's rights state?

If you can't afford the new rent (and given that you haven't signed a new lease), you'll need to move.
unspecified42
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:38 PM
I’d call and talk to her if you are correct, say you aren’t renewing the lease and the increase isn’t applicable. And dont plan on getting your security deposit back...
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:38 PM
If the lease ends on April 30 she’s not required to give you any notice at all. She is just going to present a new lease...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM
Have you checked other prices around you? Is that fair considering other rentals and their prices in the area?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:40 PM
Rent is money flushed down the toilet.
Save some money and BUY a house!
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
If you signed a lease for a certain amount she cant raise your rent. However if you are staying and you havent signed a new lease yet then yes she can raise the rent
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:40 PM
I believe that law only applies if they are raising the rent during a current signed lease. Your lease is expiring and this will be a new one.
K3412
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:41 PM
Are you renewing it or going month to month? You are entitled to a 30 day written notice of the increase, which she didn’t do. But you don’t get to just tell her you won’t be paying. You would legally be held responsible for the new amount starting June 1 if you are month to month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2018 at 1:42 PM
Houses mean broken appliances, leaky roofs, HVAC that goes out, etc.

You shouldn't get a house without taking the hidden expenses of home ownership into consideration.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Rent is money flushed down the toilet.
Save some money and BUY a house!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)