Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I continuously go over budget!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
On groceries/household items. I stock up whenever I can get a good deal on something and I always think "I'll make it up next month" but there is always something else I stock up on! It's not really a problem financially but I'm annoyed with myself. How would you handle this? Would you adjust your budget? Add a new "surplus budget"? Stop yourself from overspending? Or something else I haven't thought of?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K3412
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM
Depends on why you are budgeting, what you are getting and how much you are going over.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM
Adjust your budget
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:23 AM
I'm budgeting just because I would spend a ridiculous amount if I didn't. My budget is 600 month and the worst I've done was 733.44 in April, but that included several months worth of cleaning supplies and toiletries.

Quoting K3412: Depends on why you are budgeting, what you are getting and how much you are going over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:24 AM
How would you adjust it? Would you increase it by a certain percentage, or...?

Quoting bleumonster: Adjust your budget
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:27 AM
I would adjust the budget. Increase it to x every payday and if you don't use it that money can go into savings. I allot x for groceries and if I don't use it all the extra part goes in to savings and nothing comes out of our fun money because I went over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:32 AM
We have a separate grocery and household item budget. I buy our paper products in bulk(toilet paper,napkins,paper towels, and paper plates) that’s usually the only thing I buy in bulk. I have a lot of meat in my freezer but I only get some meat once a year.
HaloSue
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM
Write a list. Check your pantry. I would have maybe 4 items that you use on a regular basis. Unless it's a great sale then you could add one or two more of that item.
Everyone should have a budget.
Use a notebook or Legal pad to keep track of what you do have in the pantry and fridge/freezer.
If you don't really need it, don't buy it.
It's really a control issue. Learn to control the budget food wise.
Certain things can be kept quite a while,some will go bad and will have to be thrown out. So check the dates for the longest period of time.
It would help if you make a list of meals for the week or two weeks and go by what you'll need. Anything else isn't really needed currently.
Sure many people go over when shopping but not by hundreds of dollars.
You Know your family and what they eat so go by that too.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Adjust your budget. Honestly I don’t understand the whole “stocking up”. Unless it’s a huge deal then I’m not doing that.
Rubberbiscuit
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:36 AM
Since it’s a consistent thing, I would adjust the budget. Your budget might be unrealistic, for you.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM
If I had the money, I would adjust my budget. You know how much you typically go over. Adjust it to a little over your average spending. Anything leftover goes in savings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)