Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Compassionate moms come here- edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 128 Replies
Here’s the scenario.

My nephew goes to a school for kids with mental health issues. He is bipolar and going through puberty. So my sister is having trouble with him but with us, my parents and her DHs sister they get good support. We are all very involved helping out.

She called me crying this morning about how friends of her son at school were suspended for making threats. Now, I know kids shouldn’t be threatening anyone, ever, but these kids have serious issues. Her son said he was a small part of the threats but they were just talk, frustration and harmless not real. She knows these 2 kids, they are troubled, but not trouble (if that makes sense).

She is worried that my nephew who is friends with them will be suspended too.

And then where will the kids go to get help?

This is a school for kids with emotional problems. How do they suspend kids!? Shouldn't they just help them more?

My sister said suspension, but then talked about how theyll need to find new schools. So now Im confused. I texted her. Waiting to see what she meant.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like they deserve to be suspended.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM
So suspend them to what end? Where will they go now? How will they get help they need?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM
6 moms liked this
This can help. Eventually these kids are going to grow up and have to function in society. The world is not going to cater to them or just let threats slide because they're troubled. They have to learn there are consequences for their actions.
FreyaM
by Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:50 AM
4 moms liked this
People with mental health issues still require rules and hard limits. The kids are being suspended for making threats, which is a punishment that fits the crime. They aren’t being expelled so they can receive help from the school once their suspension is over. This is a really good teaching moment for your nephew. It’s good for him to see that actions have consequences even when there are mental health issues going on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this
You have to draw the line somewhere and the school feels the safety of staff and students is important.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:50 AM
Putting them on the street at 14? What will my sister do with him?

Quoting Anonymous 3: This can help. Eventually these kids are going to grow up and have to function in society. The world is not going to cater to them or just let threats slide because they're troubled. They have to learn there are consequences for their actions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Im compassionate, but I'm with the school, they need suspended for a few days. Not out of school, because lets be honest, thats just a vacation to these kids now a days.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Suspensions only last for a few days, it's hardly going to be a crisis.

Quoting Anonymous 1: So suspend them to what end? Where will they go now? How will they get help they need?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Corieva
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Suspended or expelled? Big difference.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM
It is.
But isnt helping these kids what the school is for to begin with?

Quoting Anonymous 4: You have to draw the line somewhere and the school feels the safety of staff and students is important.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)