Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update Replace the laptop or he's not coming back over there

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 392 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is 16 years old. His Dad recently moved his girlfriend in with him and his girlfriend has two young kids. His dad has a two-bedroom condo. Since the girlfriends kids live there full-time it was decided that they would get my son's room and when my son came to visit he would just sleep in the living room. I thought this was absolutely ridiculous but at the same time I didn't want my son to lose his relationship with his father. I let it be up to my son whether he went or not even though in the court order it specifically says that in both of our homes he must have his own bedroom. He decided that he did still want to go though he doesn't go over there as often. Instead of being there every other weekend from Friday afternoon until Monday morning he usually goes over Saturday morning and then comes home Sunday afternoon.

My son went over yesterday and was doing his homework for school on his laptop. He was doing it in the living room because that's the only place he has to do his homework. He doesn't have a bedroom. Well his dad's girlfriend apparently was walking through the living room tripped on the power cord for the laptop fell and she had a drink in her hand and the drink went straight on the laptop. She also busted her face and it looks like she has a broken nose and two broken teeth from falling on the coffee table. Instead of apologizing for ruining his laptop she screamed at him that he had the cord there on purpose and he wanted her to trip in this was all his fault. Except for it was literally the only place to plug his laptop in. My ex told my son that he was going to take his girlfriend to the hospital and my son needed to watch the other kids. He also said that since my son was so careless with his laptop he will not be replacing the laptop. That he's going to have to pay for his girlfriend's medical bills all because my son was careless.

My son called me and told me everything that happened and I came to pick him up and I told my ex that he needs to replace the laptop. That our son needs it for school. That this was not something that is negotiable. Also I reminded him of agreement between my ex and I was that ds was allowed to bring it over there so my ex didn't have to buy him a laptop for his house but if it breaks at his house through anything but my son's fault my ex has to replace it. My ex said that they're going to the hospital and I need to not even worry about this right now and it doesn't matter cuz he's not paying for it and that my son can't come home right now cuz he needs to watch girlfriends kids. My son had already gotten his stuff to go and we left. On the way out my son told his father that if he does not replace the laptop he's never to talk to him again.

He was so upset. My son has a job but it's going to take him a long time to save up for a new laptop that he shouldn't have to save up for it all. I told him that he's not to worry about it I will replace it because this wasn't his fault.

Update

My ex called my son just a little while ago. He asked if my son was ready to apologize. My son told him no that he has nothing to apologize for and my son asked him if he will be reimbursing me for the laptop. My ex told him no and that if it was up to him he wouldn't get a new laptop at all and that my son isn't allowed to bring the laptop back over. My son said that's okay because he won't be going back over until he gets his bedroom back he won't be going back over there. My son said he's sick of my ex putting his girlfriend and her kids before him. He also said that if he wants anything to do with him he will reimburse me for the laptop apologize and get his girlfriend to apologize. My ex called my son an entitled bastard. My son said that he's only a bastard because my ex was a coward and ran away from his responsibilities (we were engaged with a wedding date set when I got pregnant and he completely flipped out and took off, my son is well aware of that) he's thankful that he has my husband has been more of a father to him then my ex ever has been. My ex told him to go to hell and that he never wants to talk to him again and he's never to ask him for anything ever again.

Dh and i are just being there for my son as best as we can. Dh and i told him not to worry about the cost of the laptop. I feel badly for my son but he has to deal with all this.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM
Bump
xoch86
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Good riddance to his dad.. your son doesnโ€™t  need that hot mess in his life anyway

quinnsmom715
by Emerald Member on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

how did she not see the cord?and be ready for the 'your son is horrible.fffaammily is more important than a laptop..'

squeekers
by squeekers on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Girlfriend has entitlement issues.
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I think they should replace the laptop and your son should not have to pay for her medical bills.  It was an accident.

However.

I also don't think your son should have told his father he would never talk to him again.

Emotions were high and everyone needs to discuss after they've all calmed down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:16 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that the floor is I believe darker and the power cord is black. But she knew my son was on the laptop so it was kind of her responsibility to watch where she's going

Quoting quinnsmom715:

how did she not see the cord?and be ready for the 'your son is horrible.fffaammily is more important than a laptop..'

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM
Son is playing you two against each other.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM
I wouldn't let him go back over to that mess, you may just have to buy an inexpensive laptop to replace the one that was lost. I doubt his dad will step up and pay for another one, sucks for your DS that his dad is a douch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM
3 moms liked this
O.o

Speaking of delusional people.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Son is playing you two against each other.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Was this really necessary in the middle of a traumatic situation?! Wow. Iโ€™m sure everything would have worked out when everyone calmed down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)