Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is your opinion on teens and....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

jobs?

Do you require your teen to have a job?

Do you ask your teen not to work so they can focus solely on school and sports?

Is it thier choice?

Follow up question... if grades slip do you make them quit working?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:44 AM

I don't require them to have or not have a job.

I've been actively encouraging my 16 year old to find a job because he wants one.  He has yet to do it but he's been trying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:45 AM

No work during the school year. At least on school days. They can work wkns if they really want to as long as they keep their grades up. Otherwise, only during summer. And thats only if they want to work. They don't have to if they don't want to. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:46 AM

Mine are not teens yet. We will not require them to have jobs. If they wish to get one, that is on them. If their grades suffer, they would have to quit as their education is more important than them having a job as minors. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:46 AM
My daughters all work for their father and they work less than 20 hours a week. I prefer they focus mostly on school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this

If they can legally drive they are required to work to help pay for insurance, gas, and maintenance on car/trucks.

I don't let or make them quit of grades slipping that is on them not me.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

jobs?

Do you require you teen to have a job?

Do you ask your teen not to work so they can focus solely on school and sports?

Is it thier choice?

Follow up question... if grades slip do you make them quit working?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:47 AM
My children go to school an hour away from home, in addition they are very active at school, clubs, activities, sports, etc. So it’s not really doable for them. My daughter is generally at school from 7:30 a.m. through 8:30 p.m. and sometimes much later depending on how far away sporting events are and what time the buses get back. No time for jobs...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:47 AM
Our rule is that they have to have a job if they want to date.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM

I think it's good to work part time. In my circle in high school we all worked and had our own cars and money. It was my choice but my mom wouldn't give me any money so it was an easy choice.  I've been working since I was 15. Before then I was spoiled so it was a rude awakening, lol. 

Mnnmamma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM
Yes but i worked a summer burger olace by lake so only summer hours school and sports and clubs are more important for there future.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM
Jobs are definitely a requirement in our home as the kids get to be teens. One already a young adult. I don’t care how many hours or where they work just as long as they have at least one paid job. My oldest son started working at 13, continued his job until the age of 17 than switched while going to college. He’s still employed there until August then he’s off to University for a few years. He’s already been looking for employment close to his apartment he’ll be renting.
If grades slip they’ll just have to work harder, quitting is not an option at all but figuring it out is.
My other kids are already talking about where they want to work once they hit 15 ( few months) they’ve been on about it for like a year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)