Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this really late?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies

Poll

Question: Is 9:30 on a school night too late to come home (read post before answering)

Options:

Yes

No

Just because there has to be one more

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 192

View Results

My DD is 8.  During the week she has practice and open gym classes and 2x a week they are until 9 and most other nights until 8pm.  

Some days she will be at the gym for 3 hours at a time, she is at the gym 6 days a week.  Her grades don't suffer so I dont worry.  

This week she decided she wanted to take a break from going to the gym (she had to attend practice) and she has been hanging out with her BFF.  

My SO was here tonight and her friend called her and said want to come over, my brother will take you home at 9:30 (it was 7pm when she called) so she asked and I said yes I will take you.  My SO said isnt it a little late for a school night?  I was like no, he said ok, your daughter.  

So i figured since I am waiting for her to come home, what does CM say...

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2018 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:01 PM
I would say yes unless it is because a practice ran late. My son has been at the gym till 9:30 some weeknights which means he doesn't get home until 10. Some mornings are a little rough.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:02 PM
6 moms liked this
IMO yes. Required for sports I wouldn’t be thrilled with but I could understand. Just to hang out with friends it’s too late at night for an 8 year old.
slw123
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:07 PM
When my kids were 8 they were in bed by 9 pm, so to me hanging out at a friends house that late on a school night would not be an option.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:08 PM
DS's bedtime is 8:30, so yeah.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:09 PM

Your kid, your decision 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It’s a rare occurrence that my kids aren’t in bed by 8:30-9 pm on school nights. I want them to be well rested for their school day.
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this

IMO it is too late for an 8 year old to be coming home, whether it is for practice or hanging with a friend. They should be in bed by then. Growing kids need their sleep. It also is not healthy for kids to focus on one activity every waking moment, to the exclusion of all others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
That is insane for an 8 year old in my humble opinion! I mean she will be running her own race by the time she’s 12. Whatever will she have to look forward to as a teenager 🙄. Good luck going forward is all I can say.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:19 PM

yes I find that late

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:20 PM

her practices are over by 9 so we are usually home by 9:15, then homework and bed by 10:30

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would say yes unless it is because a practice ran late. My son has been at the gym till 9:30 some weeknights which means he doesn't get home until 10. Some mornings are a little rough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)