Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Would anyone ever build an EarthShip like this to live in?
Or what about just an Earth-sheltered home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Replies (11-19):
SalmonBerry87
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM
*the wall wraps not warps lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MelindaMartelli
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Thats amazing.

TaeTaeLove
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Depends on where you live and what you want to do with the plants. If we buy some property, were going to put in some fruit trees, some grape vines, some fruit bushes, whatever of the fruit types that grow wherever we are. We'll also put in a veggie garden and an herb garden. I tend to use herbs for medicinal uses, and make things with them (toiletries, satchets, etc).

For herbs, a starter for me would be: lavender, chamomile, mint, spearmint, wintergreen, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, garlic, onion, peppers (cayene, chili, etc), and any other herbs I use regularly for cooking, arnica, etc.

Fruits would be: black, blue, rasp, strawberries, grapes, citrus, peaches, pineapples in the south, apples, pears in the north.

Veggies: potatos, carrots, lettuces, cucumbers, tomatos, celery, rutabega/turnips, corn, grean and regular beans, sweet potato/yams, bell peppers, etc

Other plants: roses, marigolds, aloe, wisteria (contained), lilies, clovers, water plants (for the pond we'd have built if there isn't one to begin with, or the natural pool we'd put in), poppies, morning glories, moon flowers... any kind of flowers we could get to grow probably, plus decorative grasses and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM
I love the wall. Wish we had something like that where we are now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM
I'm bookmarking this for reference lol. We live in wa so we for sure will be getting some more apple trees.
Yeah the wall was there when my SO bought the place (before we ever met) but I'm kind of taking it over lol. Ill have to post pics of the progress I make with it. Oh and he also plans on finishing the stairs cause they just kind of stop and its unsafe. :/

Quoting TaeTaeLove:

Depends on where you live and what you want to do with the plants. If we buy some property, were going to put in some fruit trees, some grape vines, some fruit bushes, whatever of the fruit types that grow wherever we are. We'll also put in a veggie garden and an herb garden. I tend to use herbs for medicinal uses, and make things with them (toiletries, satchets, etc).

For herbs, a starter for me would be: lavender, chamomile, mint, spearmint, wintergreen, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, garlic, onion, peppers (cayene, chili, etc), and any other herbs I use regularly for cooking, arnica, etc.

Fruits would be: black, blue, rasp, strawberries, grapes, citrus, peaches, pineapples in the south, apples, pears in the north.

Veggies: potatos, carrots, lettuces, cucumbers, tomatos, celery, rutabega/turnips, corn, grean and regular beans, sweet potato/yams, bell peppers, etc

Other plants: roses, marigolds, aloe, wisteria (contained), lilies, clovers, water plants (for the pond we'd have built if there isn't one to begin with, or the natural pool we'd put in), poppies, morning glories, moon flowers... any kind of flowers we could get to grow probably, plus decorative grasses and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM
There are good gardening books out there. You should go raid your library. :) you could also pick up some landscaping books to help with the wall area. And look into homesteading, especially if your sah. Two good ones are back to basics homesteading guide and country know how and wisdom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Good ideas thank you. I don't think I've even been to the library in this town yet...

Quoting TaeTaeLove:

There are good gardening books out there. You should go raid your library. :) you could also pick up some landscaping books to help with the wall area. And look into homesteading, especially if your sah. Two good ones are back to basics homesteading guide and country know how and wisdom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I want a hobbit hole. LOL. A house built into a plantable burm.

TotallyConfused
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I think it's really cool, we are hoping to build an eco-friendly tiny house one day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)