Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cloning endangered animals

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm watching 60 minutes or some show like that and they are talking about cloning endangered animals to repopulate them.

Do you think that this ok? Would you choose for them to become existent or cloned for survival?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaeTaeLove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Kinda tough. I don't really know enough about cloning to make an informed choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM
I'm leary of cloning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM
The way it was explained tonight was that they find an animal that is genetically compatible and they harvest an egg from the animal that is not endangered, they remove a part of DNA and then add the similar DNA from the endangered species into the egg then replace it in the surrogate mother and let her carry than birth the baby. It's already been success full with an animal.

I'm not sure how I feel about it but at the same time if species are dying and we have the capability of saving them then we should at least try
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zboys
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM

What's next?  Humans?

SalmonBerry87
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Huh. It seems unnatural but humans are the reason we have so many endagered species in the first place...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM
Val, I don't think we'll be next but Jakes question was "how will they clone monkeys?" The closet DNA to a monkey is humans....

Sam, no it doesn't seem natural, I know a lot of people say "it's playing God and wrong" but if you look at the bible it ways that we were born in the likeness of God, so would it not stand that we as well are capable of creating life? Just a thought
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM
Oh I don't consider it playing god exactly, it just seems like it starts out small and gets bigger ya know? What's next? I'm totally picturing a real life centaur lol. I know its far fetched but they've crossed goats with spiders so.... I dunno. Genetic engineering and whatnot just kinda freaks me out.
And no I don't think its natural but maybe its the least we could do to keep those species going ya know? Look at all the other animals we've killed off. That can't be good for our collective karma...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 9:54 AM
They were talking about bring back a wholly mammoth! I mean really do we need a freaken mammoth roaming around, highly doubtful! The one doctor who has successfully cloned an endangered animal said that it's very unlikely that they will be able to bring the mammoth back cause you need to know things like how long the pregnancy would last and that's something they have no clue about.

Yea I'm not so sure about creating new species, especially anything half breeded with spiders *shudders*...but to keep a endangered species from dying out because of things we have done, I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea, like you said it's the least we could do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Omg. A mammoth!? They are like my fav. Extinct animnal but could you imagine? They are so effing huge!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM
They would be huge! Where the eff would we keep something like that?!
They got hair from one and since you can get DNA from hair they are thinking of seeing if they can clone one. They said the elephant is the closet in DNA to the mammoth, so that's what they would use but they still don't know how long pregnancy use to last for the mammoth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)