Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

OT but how would you explain this?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 1:52 AM
  • 6 Replies
My 4 year old is starting to question family relationships.
Hubbys family has basically replaced him with my brother.
Hubby's sister calls my brothers wife her sil. And she tells her kids that my brothers step-sons are their cousins.
My 14 year old niece and 14 year old nephew obviously like each other. They say they don't and that they are "just cousins" but they're not stupid. My nephew knows she's not a blood relative of his step dad's sister's husband's sister's daughter. Yeah, that one worries me because they don't supervise these two together like normal girl/boy situations. And no, ds isn't questioning this part it just bugs me!!
Anyways, ds is learning about family relations and they have him all confused. After all I don't even know my brothers wife's brother and his family, much less consider them closer related to me than my own brother!!
They have all of the kids so confused...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TaeTaeLove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM
I think I'm confused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
I think I'm confused too...my best advice is to try and explain it as much as you can in an appropriate way for a 4 year old. Answer his question in a way he'll understand and you don't need to go into all the confusing facts or situations that your family seems to have created.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM
Also what kind of questions is asking, that might help me answer this better.

We are going through questions as well with my 8 year old, she keeps asking about step dads and if I was married before I married "daddy" so I explain that I wasn't and what a step dad is. If she's satisfied with the answers and has no more questions she'll move on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM
I guess I can understand the confusion. Most of my cousins are "aunts" and "uncles" to my kids. I have a very large extended family, and about 7 or 8 of my cousins started having kids round about the same time I did. So I have about a dozen 2nd cousins which would make them 2nd cousins once removed? Really confusing family dinamics, that I simplified by turning my cousins to aunts and uncles and my second cousins to just plain cousins. We also have a few adopted in aunts, uncles and cousins. Good friends of mine that got the honorary title. I had a few of them growing up myself (and still refer to them that way...).

Try and get as specific as you can for the question. That usually makes it easier to answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM
Our family is the same way. We have a realy big extended family and every bodies just a cousin lol...we also have several friends we call aunts or uncles cause they are like family.

Quoting TaeTaeLove:

I guess I can understand the confusion. Most of my cousins are "aunts" and "uncles" to my kids. I have a very large extended family, and about 7 or 8 of my cousins started having kids round about the same time I did. So I have about a dozen 2nd cousins which would make them 2nd cousins once removed? Really confusing family dinamics, that I simplified by turning my cousins to aunts and uncles and my second cousins to just plain cousins. We also have a few adopted in aunts, uncles and cousins. Good friends of mine that got the honorary title. I had a few of them growing up myself (and still refer to them that way...).

Try and get as specific as you can for the question. That usually makes it easier to answer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:07 PM
I'm confused too. Lol. When I was a kid my mom was with my aunt (her sister)'s ex husband. So... my cousins were almost step-siblings. It was really hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)