Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

spiders...blah *shudder*

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 16 Replies
I have a huge fear of spiders, they creep me out massively and I swear they are out to get me (unrational I know but I'm just calling it like I see it...they don't run away from me they run at me). Anywho, today's the first day in about a week I've been able to use my line cause it's been raining like crazy. Well I go out there and I'm hanging up my littlest ones blankets and there's this HUGE spider web, I don't see a spider so I grab a stick and start taking the web down, from a distance mind you, and then I knock one of the clothes pins and the big HUGE nasty spider with it's creepy legs moves. This sucker is HUGE! I'm totally freaking out won't go near the damn clothes pin, if I touch the clothes pin the spiders moves and if that huge thing moves it's gonna land on me and if it does there's a possibility of me hurting my self while my spaztic "omfg there's a huge ass spider on me, GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF" dance proceeds.

So ladies here is my question for ya'll...how do keep spiders away? I don't care if they are good for whatever they are good for, I just want to keep them away from my clothes line, my clothing and from giving me a heart attack!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaeTaeLove
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM
Keep the bugs away? That's why they're there. I can't really think of anything else. You might try a targeted bug killer for ones that are already there. I'm sure there are organic type ones, and recipes to make them online. Other than that, I don't really know. A really long stick maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Yea I don't care that they are there to keep bugs away, that ,frankly, they are doing a horrible job at it lol

I did the really long stick..I'm going to have research this. It's pretty bad...once I sat on top of the kitchen table for almost an hour staring at the stairs cause Jake wasn't home and a spider was coming up 'em...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM
Sick!! We're having a spider problem too. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 9:17 PM
They suck don't they! We had a huge garden spider in the garden and I almost walked right into it! I was jumping over plants, almost ran my husband over screaming "OH MY GOD"....we left there and it took me days to go back in the garden and then the same kinda spider made a web right outside my front door....after me, I'm telling ya lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM
I meant, figure out a way to get rid of the other bugs. Id suggest yard guard, but its pretty toxic :/. It could possibly kill of other creatures (my parents used it and forgot to cover the fish pond. The fish all died.).

I feel for ya though. Some spiders freak me out. Dh is my spider hero too. I don't mind the mini jumping ones cuz they run away. And I don't mind the black ones that hide in their spun lairs because they only come out when something is in their web. But a wolf spider? Forget it. All bets are off! If I had a hand gun, id shoot the bastards. Lol. I woke up one night while I was a kid because I could feel one stairing at me from the other side of the room. It was almost a dinner plate!

I'm also freaked out by palmeto bugs. They just gross me out. I can handle just about any bug but those two...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM
One of the houses we lived in, we had 2 types of spiders EVERYWHERE!!! I mean, all over the back yard, the front yard, even in the front porch. At least they stayed outta the house... which they don't here. One was golden silk spiders and the other was black and yellow argiope spiders (we called them zig zag spiders because the put zig zags in their webs). If you can stomach it look here. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in017. They have a pick of both. The argiopes freaked me out. Looked like they had faces and would stare at you...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Oh no! Poor fish! :( our main bug is mosquitoes and spiders....I can deal the blood suckers but the 8 legged freaks I just CAN NOT do! I get made fun of for it, it's that bad..even the small jumpy ones, they always jump at me!

Those argiopes are what we call garden spiders, that's what I almost walked into!!! and made a web outside my front door!!! Totally freaked me out! I'd have to move if we lived where you did, no way I could it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM
If you cut down the skeeter pop, you might cut down the spider pop. Try it for a couple weeks and see if it works. Just keep brush cleared, grass cut, water dumped wherever you find it, etc. It might help, and if not, at least there's less bloodsuckers! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM
we have tried everything, girl, everything! We live in a very wooded area...like our back yard is a forest! Plus we have a swamp like creek in the back yard too so it's a huge breeding ground for the bloodsuckers. It's horrible! We go outside for 5 minutes and swarms of them attack! I'm so ready for cooler weather to kill them off....oh and we have snakes! One day I told my 4 year old to go get my basket and he was headed that way then all the sudden he was "mama I can't do it" I started walking towards him and almost right away I knew something wrong got closer and HUGE black snake was chilling by the front steps! I put the kids over the porch railing than hopped over myself. I want to move so bad lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM
I know the woods problem, we have it too. At least we don't have the snakes... just rabbits and coons and possums.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)