Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

What does your family do to save money while still having fun?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM
  • 3 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - What (green) ways do you do to save money & still have fun with your family?

5 Ways to Save Money Without Spoiling the Fun

Posted by Jacqueline Burt
on September 1, 2011  
marbles
Everybody's on a budget these days, but that doesn't mean we have to give up having family fun! In fact, you might just find that spending less money turns out to be more fun. Really!

Just think about the stories your grandparents used to tell ... how awesome did their childhoods sound? My grandfather's early years were apparently a bigger barrel of laughs than an episode of The Little Rascals, and that was during the Great Depression. Back then, a bag of marbles was the closest thing a kid was gonna get to a Wii.

And maybe that was a good thing!

So, keeping that in mind, check out these 5 Ways to Save Money Without Spoiling the Fun:

1. Start a collection. Kids are naturals at collecting interesting found objects (ahem, free objects). Either as a family or individually, pick items that are easy to find -- but not too easy -- and small enough to display, then go on weekly expeditions to find interesting specimens. A few ideas: Cool rocks, seashells, marbles, coins. If you want to spend just a few bucks, you can hit the tag sale circuit and look for stamps, bottle caps, and the like.
  2. Go back in time. No need for a big vacation! You might think you know everything there is to know about your town, but a trip to the local Historical Society will prove you wrong. Find out interesting factoids about your city, then visit the locations. (So that's what that grocery store used to be!)
  3. Have a movie night! Between tickets, popcorn, and candy, I spent more than I would on a nice grown-up dinner the last time I took my kids to the movies. Good thing watching movies at home is fun, too, especially if you make it into an event. Little kids can make tickets, big kids can make popcorn. Be sure to turn off all the lights! To make it even more authentic, consider including some treats you wouldn't ordinarily offer (Twizzlers bought at the store sure are cheaper than the ones you get at the movie theater!).
  4. Visit the pet store. Provided you've got some willpower behind you (don't take the cute bunny home! Just admire him in his cage!), a trip to the pet store can be a surprisingly eventful excursion, especially for younger kids. Like the zoo, kind of, except there's no fee for admission (and no pricey souvenirs beckoning).
  5. Make your own art museum. Got paper? Like, a big, giant roll of paper? Pick a theme, like "Safari" or "Circus," and sit the whole family down with a variety of markers, crayons, and paints to make a super-long mural. When everybody's done, sit back and invent stories to go along with the pictures. (Snack on leftover popcorn from Movie Night if you like.)

What does your family do to save money while still having fun?

by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
zboys
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM

This was in another group.  : )

We watch a movie every Saturday night in our living room and make our own popcorn.  Also, for birthdays we just have a birthday dinner with a couple families over instead of going out.

mommaGof3
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM
Lol, I think was in this group by someone else lol

We do movie nights, my kids love to draw and what not so I've been thinking about making out own art museum. We also go to the history and science museum downtown often, we'll have a picnic on the lawn of the museum then go look at some dinos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaeTaeLove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM
I think I did a similar post a week or 2 ago. We go for walks, or go to one of the parks by us, we have a state, county, and city park within 20 or so minutes that you can swim at (all $3 or less per person) or one of the other parks in the county. We occasionally do found crafts or science projects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)